Gibson Brands Forums

Radial Cap question

This is the first time I've seen this. I have a cap 100v 33uf that has no blue stripe with rectangles to determine the polarity. Its just all black with the usual markings, can anyone tell me how to determine the polarity?

There is a side with very fine markings going down the side.

Polarity of caps with wires:

axial: the minus wire is connected to the case, the plus wire is isolated.

radial = single ended: a vertical color stripe indicates the minus side

Axial lead electrolytic capacitors typically have an indented ring at the positive end. On aluminum electrolytics, the crimp holds the seal in place. It's not explicitly for indicating polarity, but the can is the negative terminal so for axial caps the open end where the positive lead emerges is always the crimped end. For radial caps the can may not be part of the circuit at all. The process of oxide formation on the foil is called "anodizing", i.e., it occurs on the positive electrode. This process is applied to the foil but of course cannot be performed on the casing, so the casing must either be isolated, or be made the cathode

The cap is listed as bi-polar does that mean it doesn't matter which way it goes on

since there is no markings?

Bipolar caps are a lot like my X. They make you worry over nothin'. Bipolar caps have no real polarity issues. Only imaginary ones. :)

Gil...

Archived