Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Junior Double cutaway

Thom

Recently picked up a Epiphone Les Paul Jr Double cutaway, with the single P-90 pickup. Great sound, great setup, and killer price. But I had no idea that Epiphone had repro'd the double cut LP JR; does anybody know about how many of these were produced? Mine is the cherry red version.

Most of them are bolt on necks. I have a cherry one from 1997 and after I changed the bridge and the tuners, it's become one of my favorites. Picked it up on eBay for $130.00. Also had a black one which I sold. Some of the Japanese double cut Juniors have set necks.

I had one a while ago and I wish I hadn't sold it. They sold a lot of these in the mid to late 90s but now the double-cut models are pretty rare.

IIRC they came in transparent cherry, transparent TV-yellow, black and sunburst. Maybe white as well, I can't remember.

All had bolt-on necks and P-90s.

I had mine modded with a '93 Gibson USA P-90, Badass-style bridge and Kluson tuners... man I miss that thing. Had to sell it to pay bills, I think. :-k

I also saw a TV-yellow one at a pawn shop that someone had mauled. The neck on these things extends out a bit so the fretboard starts right where then neck connects to the body. Some genius decided he didn't like that, so he sawed off the 3 or so inches of wood that makes the neck stick out then bolted the neck on right through the finish and up into the 19th fret. I almost bought the guitar until I noticed that little flaw.

I wish Epiphone would bring those DC Specials back, JerryMac! I would buy one of those tomorrow if they did.

It appears from looking at the Gibson web site they've purged a bunch of models. All of the Specials and Juniors are Custom/Historic now.

It would be nice if Epi would bring back a set neck Special to fill that void. I'd love to have a single cut TV Yellow with 2 P90s and a set neck!

Archived