Gibson Brands Forums

epi les paul model and serial umber

toled

hey i've got an epi les paul model but i've got some trouble to understand its serial number S921378

i can't really find the year etc...

could you give a hand please?

You seem to be missing a digit. S means it was made by Samick (Korea). The 9 indicates it was made in 1999. Now the next 2 digits should be the month (01 - 12). 21 doesn't make sense, it should be either S9021378 or S9121378 indicating February or December. The last 4 digits indicate that it was the 1,378th guitar made that month.

sorry iv'e missed a number the real SN is S9213678 i bought the LP in 1996 second hand. that's why that serial seems a bit strange to me? any idea?

Nope, S92 could be Samick 1992, but you would still need the next 2 digits to be 01 - 12 to indicate the month. S is Samick, if you got it in 1996 then '92 makes sense (even though I thought the current system began in 1993). Early '90s Samick is my best guess.

One question, is it engraved or on a sticker???

it's engraved actually

S is Samick, they didn't start those engraved serial #s with the letter until 1992 / 1993 when Epiphone expanded to several different Korean manufacturers. It was a way of determining which factory made the guitar. So it has to be made between 1992 & 1996 by Samick.

Archived