Gibson Brands Forums

Will Waverly tuners fit my J45 True Vintage?

jkhern

I love my J45 TV. Does anyone know if Waverlys are a direct replacement for the stock tuners? Will I need to order 13/32 bushing? Will the screw holes line-up on the back of the headstock?

Thanks,

Kevin

You will need to plug and then drill new pilot holes for each of the top screws. The bottom screw holes line up fine. Neither bushing for the Waves works well with out modification. One too small and one too big. The existing one will work but is a bit sloppy around the post.

Thanks for the feedback. I'd prefer a drop in replacement with no modifications. Can anyone recommend an upgraded tuner that fits the J45 TV with no modifications? My stock tuners will not stay in tune. Is this common problem with the stock tuners that Gibson is currently using on the True Vintage series?

Kevin

Thanks Mike, that's good advise. My Collings and my Bourgeois both have Waverlys and are pretty rock solid even when tweaked up or down. These Gotohs have more slack but, will probably function just fine if always tuned in the up direction.

Now, where is my pick? Time to go back to the woodshed.

Kevin

Just a quick update:

Mike's advise of "tuning up" fixed my tuning problems. My J45 is playing great and my tuning problems were self-induced. I had gotten out of this habit with Waverly tuners and will now use this method with all tuners. Thanks again Mike.

Kevin

Archived