Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Zakk Wylde Les Pauls

Alch

Was just wondering if anyone knows whether the Epiphone Zakk Wylde LP ever came with EMG 81/85 as stock? I know the new models have the passive HZ pickups, but I have a guitar mag from a while ago that was giving away a ZW LP with EMG 81/85s as part of a competition. The only reason I ask is that I have just bought one with the active EMGs, and the serial number dates back to 2002 so was wondering whether this was stock or if it has been wired aftermarket.

Well, I'll have to dig up my 2002 catalog and see what it says... but in the meantime, I would just check the battery installation. Does it look like a factory set-up or something that has been done after the fact? Usually the difference is pretty obvious...

:-({|=

***UPDATE***

Well, I got home and dug up the old cats; the ZW doesn't show up in the Epiphone line before the 2003 catalog... which is not unusual if it was introduced in 2002. Anyway, the 2003 catalog lists it as having the EMG HZ pickups so...

Hmm... I just hecked the serial number in the guitar dater project:

Your guitar was made at the

Unsung Plant, Korea

November 2002

Production Number: 0209

Was there a limited edition ZW LP with the active EMGs when it first came out? The guitar mag I have which was giving these away with the active EMGs was part of a promo for when it was first released. Any info would be much appreciated.

BTW, here's the guitar if you're interested:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=230212909047&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=013

Archived