Gibson Brands Forums

Did I fry the whole EVJ or can it be salvaged?

Well I really did it now! I was doing a mod to my PCB for my EVJ (ver3)and accidentally put the T12 on the T2 (or something like that) when I plugged it in it started to smoke. To my advantage I have some spare PCB's so I swapped it out but when I tried I got no power at all. I know the spare PCB was good because it worked in another amp which I tried before I put it in this one. The fuse on the power transformer was not blown. The power switch was still good. I pretty sure the board and it parts are fried which is no big deal. I was wondering if I fried the power transformer? The OT was still good,I used it in another amp.

Thanks

Steve

Sorry you're having troubles. You may have done some serious damage to the transformers.

By the way, the orange wire's fuseholder is only for the heater circuit. That one's 4A/250V. But there's also a main's fuse inside a little tray, inside the power cord jack. That one's 2A/250V. If the light in the power switch comes on, you don't need to check that one. But for those who might,...

Remove the power cord to get at the little slot which happens to be just the right size for a small flat head screwdriver tip to pry it out with. It pops out really easy, and even has a place for a spare. How conveeeeenient! =D>

Gil...

The fuse inside the power cord jack was blown! I did not know one was in there! That explains why the switch light would not come on. I already put the OT in another one with and it seems to be fine (Actually better it is better than the ver2 7.5k). Now the board smells burnt burnt but I wonder if some parts are salvageable ? I also posted in another forum and was told to check it with a volt meter. which I will. Do you know where I can get an on off rocker switch that will fit in it since I broke it taking it out? And how about the fuse?

Thanks,

Steve

The fuses are easy. Rat Shack's got 'em. Get the slo-blo variety if you can.

The switch ain't so easy. That's a Chinese knockoff and an odd size. I haven't found a match for the hole, yet, but I did find something close I scavenged from an old booster battery, of Chinese origin. If you find one that fits, you'll be a hero around here. =D>

Gil...

By the way' date=' what kind of switch is it ? SPST, SPDT? I am new to all this as you can see O:) If I found one that is a little too big it may not be too difficult to mod its way in.

Thanks,

Steve[/quote']

The stock switch is DPST, but a DPDT switch will do if it'll fit.

Gil...

Archived