Gibson Brands Forums

Whats the Major Difference

JasonCO

Ok so I missed out on a LP Custom on ebay and have been on the search again, and in my travels I have noticed a couple of LP Standard Plus and Ultras.

Is the difference in the hardware? there doesn't seem to be many visible diferences apart from the Colour and Inlays

The site says they are all Alnica Calssic pups.. etc

So whats the difference???

Ok so I missed out on a LP Custom on ebay and have been on the search again' date=' and in my travels I have noticed a couple of LP Standard Plus and Ultras.

Is the difference in the hardware? there doesn't seem to be many visible diferences apart from the Colour and Inlays

The site says they are all Alnica Calssic pups.. etc

So whats the difference???

[/quote']

The Ultra is a chambered body, not solid.

Like what Nick mentioned, it is mostly cosmetics..

But between my epi custom and standard, weight is also a big difference which might mean different wood is used. My customs weighs a whole kg lighter than the standard.

Pickup wise, I'm not sure if there's much diff but the custom sounds much brighter than the standard.

Ok so I missed out on a LP Custom on ebay and have been on the search again' date=' and in my travels I have noticed a couple of LP Standard Plus and Ultras.[/quote']

I'll say it again, the Ultra is a totally different animal, it has a chambered body, not solid. It is not just cosmetics.

So the ultra will have a totally diferent tone...brighter I would guess

might have to go to my local and try one out and listen to the difference

I haven't played an Ultra, but I am seriously considering an Ultra II. It's going to be lighter in weight, it also has a tummy cut like a Strat, and I expect it might have more of a a semi-hollow 335 tone. Kinda like the later Guild Bluesbirds.

Ooooh the Ultra, yes that is a different animal. The body contour will definitely appeal to those from the strats camp. The Ultra II if I'm not wrong also has a different pickup config.. With nanomag pickups to simulate the acoustic guitar tone.

Picture008.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Pictures are from a guy selling his Ultra II here.

Here's a review of the Ultra by a local respected guitar player..

http://soft.com.sg/forum/showthread.php?t=16213

There is one nanomag pickup. It is buried in the fingerboard' date=' at the 22nd fret. This is in addition to the two usual alnico HBs.

http://www.epiphone.com/press/P_UltraIINano.jpg (large file)

I dunno about acoustic guitar tone but it should be very interesting all the same... very Frank Zappa.

[/quote']

Is that PUP active at all times or just with the neck selected?

Archived