Gibson Brands Forums

2005 LP Standard - Flamed Maple top or veneer/laminate?

kspeed

Hi All,

I know this question has been beaten to death, and I did search, but I'm fairly new to Epiphone (have a 2007 set neck SG I'm loving) as I've mainly owned Fender and Ibanez models my whole life.

I ran across a 2005 LP Standard (serial EE05122510) that appears to have an arched, bookmatched flamed maple top. I've heard/read many rumors about how this may be a superthin veneer or laminate over mahogany or a layer of alder. Can anybody please give me a definitive answer to this?

I'll probably pick it up regardless as after some cleaning and setup it'll play really well - Grover tuners, Seymour Duncans in both positions (aftermarket I'm assuming) and in tip top shape all around. Thanks!

Thanks for the quick, informative response - I'd heard rumors that they started using real caps but I've also heard those rumors refuted. Would you happen to know if the Duncans are stock? I've never noticed an Epi that came with them stock but, like I said, I'm farely uneducated about Epi in general.

Thanks for the quick' date=' informative response - I'd heard rumors that they started using real caps but I've also heard those rumors refuted. Would you happen to know if the Duncans are stock? I've never noticed an Epi that came with them stock but, like I said, I'm farely uneducated about Epi in general.[/quote']

My 2005 EE Epi LP Flametop appears to be veneer over a three piece body. The back is also veneer, since you can't see the joins of the body in the back. The binding hides the edge of the cap and back, so you can't see the thickness of either.

Archived