Gibson Brands Forums

Rhythm-Treble switch

bungie123

Hello Everyone

I just received my new Epi Les Paul Studio guitar and I have a really stupid question. My manual shows that the rhythm treble switch up position is rhythm, middle is both and down is treble, It seems that on my guitar middle is OFF, ZIPP, NADA. No sound is made no matter how you rotate the volume or tone controls. Is this correct or is the switch defective? This is my first Epiphone so I am not sure how it is suppose to work. Thanks for the help.

when I got my LP studio...1st time I switched it to both p/u's nothing either....ok.....here is the fix...make sure BOTH volume knobs are turned up to at least 1 ...if not then neither will work...it's just the way they made em...if one pot is turned all the way down neither will work

Capt

If the switch is bad it wouldn't surprise me much, I dont' know why Epi puts in cheap componets when they make such fine guitars, wouldn't cost much to use better switches and pots. I've had trouble with 2 pots, one each of my Epi guitars, and now my G400 pups are getting replaced because they are getting mycrophonic, but I did like their sound. You can replace the switch with a Gibson type, just a minor up grade but worth it. Check out GFS they have some good stuff, I'll be replacing my pups with a set of their 59 PAF's

if you don't mind digging into your guitar.... the solution is a switchcraft switch, and jack, at the very least.

you could go all out and replace the pots with CTS pots too.

since Epi are made with metric components, and the switchcraft and CTS are 'standard' (since they USA made - which it still baffles me why the U.S. is so reluctant to adopt metric - anyways that's a different story...), you may need to make some slight modifications such as enlarging holes ever so slightly. Though sometimes you can weasel them in there.

not for the faint of heart, and requires soldering, but in the end you'll have a kick-*** guitar with electronics as good as a Gibson.

cheers

Archived