Gibson Brands Forums

I don't really know why.......

Lerxst1281733995

....But lately I've been mildly GASsing for an Epi LP Studio... Particularly the worn brown and worn cherry finishes... Something about the clean, simple look has started to become appealing to me for some reason... Usually, I lean more towards guitars with all the bling, binding, figured tops, etc... But every time I see one of those Studios, I find myself wanting one... I can't explain it.

I've not played one, but I imagine it would have a darker tone, being all mahogany (luan) with no maple top... I feel almost stupid, wanting a guitar for reasons that have nothing to do with tone/playability...:-s And it's very plain looking..

I never hear anybody talking about it... Any Epi LP Studio owners out there who want to share their opinions about this guitar?

Totally understandable. They are nice simple guitars with probably some amazing neck action due to that finish. I was on an Epi studio kick for a while then grabbed the 57 Junior at the right time in VS instead when MF blew em out last year. I can see getting a studio in Worn brown, cool for PUP swaps/mods too.

Maybe it does have something to do with my Junior fetish... One of the project ideas that I've been knocking around in the back of my noggin has been to take a Junior and make my own Lennon replica.. I'm thinking if I can get one on eBay with a broken or cracked neck for cheep, I'd fix the neck (ala Daneman's G400), strip it down and drop a CC pickup in it... It's a far out idea that'll probably never end up happening, so maybe I'm just substituting that with a Studio fetish...

If I managed to find an undamaged Junior in VS, though, I'd leave it (and love it) the way it is...

I don't dig dark brown guitars...and never cared for studios' date=' but just my opinion since that's what you seemed to be after

*shrugs*

to be fair its not due to the looks of studios, but the fact every one I've touched but 2 Gibsons have been junk as far as build quality and tone[/quote']

That's cool, TS... I'm looking for ALL opinions... Not just positive ones.

Hey Lerxst,

Yeap I own the worn brown LP studio and love it! Tulsaslim from the old forum and his brother got two to mod. Twang also from the old forum has one, There are a few more out there that have them.

It's a very nice guitar (same as a Standard but without the frills) and sounds great and plays like silk with just a little set-up and new strings. The stock pick ups (open) sound a lot better on mine than I thought they would....no troubles at all with the pots or switch and the pots roll off nicely. The neck is very nice/fast and fits well in My old fat hand. I play it thru a 10 watt tube amp and it drives it nicely.

Every time I wipe her down with lovepostion#9 and hang it back up it seems to just look better and better. You wouldn't be disappointed.

Captmidnight

The Captain is right. My bro & I both bought them & couldn't be happier. A very, very good deal. I have 7 other LPs (8 if you count my Gibby LP DC Pro) and I have to agree that the Epi LP studio is very elegently appealling. It, to me, is the lowest-priced "pro-grade" (with upgrades) guitar you can get. Well contructed with very decent materials. I put a set of GFS 'boutique' PAF pickups on mine & my brother put a set of GFS 'crunchy' PAFs on his (BTW- the neck pickup on those crunchy PAFs is one of the best neck pickups I've ever heard). Mine is a real 'blues machine' that I wouldn't hesitate to gig with.

I'd give them a big thumbs-up. Again, a very, very good deal on a simple but totally well-built guitar.

I used to have a LP Studio in an ebony finish made around the turn of the century. Compared to my SG or ultra, it sounded much darker. Compared to LP standards and customs it was much slimmer and lighter (about the weight of an ultra). It was slightly thicker than a SG body but with a glossy neck and medium output pickups. Stayed in tune well and was good for rhythm playing. Shortly after purchase the toggle switch went bad but I had no problems after that.

I eventually traded it in due to personal preference - I can only stand gloss on super thin necks, ala Ibanez Wizards, and the warm, almost brooding tone was a bit darker than I needed at the time. It's a good value, like one of the newer, well made Mexican Fenders.

The body is, in fact, 1/4" thinner. It's 1.75 thick (not counting the crown). And it is solid (Asian) Mahogany.

The worn cherry looks pretty good, too. I just liked the brown better, I guess. Again, I think they're bona-fide 'players' at a real good price.

Archived