Gibson Brands Forums

Buying and importing used guitars from Japan

rto

Greetings electric Epiphoners

I've been looking for a mate for my '81 Emperor TH or Emperor (T) (I want a bigsby and mine is too nice to molest). Unfortunately, they don't seem to appear frequently for sale in the US . Does anyone have experience buying and importing from Japan? Any recommendations including vendors? Much obliged, RTO

Out of curiosity, what is the difference between the Emperor you seek, and other models. I just bought a MIK '98 Emperor Regent, and on the tag inside it says Emperor AS. How does a T or TH differ? Is it a full archtop w/ floating pickup or are there humbuckers installed? I think the Joe Pass Emperor II is the double humbucker and slightly smaller bout. I guess more generally, what are the major lines of Emperors (how many are there)?

Suho, the Japanese Emperors built in the '80's were made in the Matsumoku factory and were closer to an Elitist Broadway than anything else Epi currently offers. They had the full L-5 cosmetics, including 2 humbuckers, pointed fingerboard end, L-5 tailpiece instead of Frequensator, inlaid bridge base, and full neck inlays. I believe the tops and backs also have a more pronounced arch than the current Broadway/Emperor Regent --- I think jerrymac has one, and would probably oblige us with a pic if we ask him nicely.

Suho' date=' the Japanese Emperors built in the '80's were made in the Matsumoku factory and were closer to an Elitist Broadway than anything else Epi currently offers. They had the full L-5 cosmetics, including 2 humbuckers, pointed fingerboard end, L-5 tailpiece instead of Frequensator, inlaid bridge base, and full neck inlays. I believe the tops and backs also have a more pronounced arch than the current Broadway/Emperor Regent --- I think jerrymac has one, and would probably oblige us with a pic if we ask him nicely.[/quote']

Ah shucks, you don't even have to ask:

Emperor.jpg

Now I'm not a jazz box enthusiast like Svet or L4, but this is one of my all time favorite guitars ever!!! These were designed as high end alternatives to Gibsons for the Japanese market.

Be warned, I have been looking for an Emperor T since I got this one. The T stands for thin line, and I believe it has a center block as well the thinner body. My kind of guitar. I call dibbs.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I'll keep an eye on the Ishibashi site and keep in mind the customs charges. I wonder why we see these guitars so rarely when serial numbers suggest more than a thousand were produced...Anyone have firsthand experience importing from Japan? regards, RTO

Archived