Gibson Brands Forums

New tuners for Sheraton II

Wlcmtothejungle

I got a Sheraton II for Xmas a year ago and the tuners are starting to deteriorate. Also' date=' they don't even stay in tune too well anyway. I need some new tuners. What are some tuners that will fit the holes exactly? I don't want to do any drilling. [/quote']

You know, I 'm not sure!

I would think Grovers would pop right in.

I know I have some imports that would fit fine. Good tuners, but WD brand which isn't all that braggy. Just 16:1 sealed tuners. they come in locking models, let me look..

35.00 list. Have to order the gold set though.

Gold Grovers in mini locking are 68.00 list..18:1 ratio, too.

69.20 list in regular size which would probably be best for a sheraton. also 18:1.

I've never even had mine off.. maybe I'll do that today and see what fits, I need new strings anyway.

Sperzels would most likely require drilling.. I've got a set of those here, too, so I'll check that out as well.

100.00 list on those..

I wish the super rotomatic came in a locking model.

I like the art deco fiftys style stepped knobs on those for a sheraton. very classy.

Of course, you really wouldn't need locking tuners if you went with Grovers anyway.

It's hard for me to say if epi changed tuner hole sizes when swapping mfg. sites.

Most likely they are all metric, which would mean drilling for Grovers, etc., but not for the import style listed above.

Those are fine tuners. They work great.

Hope that helps.

TWANG

Maybe nothing other than a small hole in the back of the headstock for the screw. I put Grover Vintage Green Keystones in a G-400, Dot, and '57 Junior RI, and they dropped right in. I just had to drill new srew holes in the back of the headstock. The stocdk tuners were fine, I just prefer the looks of the Vintage Greens.

On my '97 Samick Sheraton II I replaced the tuners with gold Grover Rotomatic Mini Locking tuners. The mini just means that the knobs are smaller than normal, as far as I can tell. They have an 18:1 gear ratio.

I agree with Twang in that I can tell very little difference between the guitars I have with regular Grovers and locking Grovers, but I say go ahead and get the locking set. As for price, I looked around a bit. I paid $46.95 for my set, plus $6.95 shipping. I bought them from E-bay seller rog2121. I would have to say that this seller seems to have about the lowest prices for these tuners. I think I also bought another set a while back. The rub is, he doesn't always seem to have that big of a selection at any given time. If you can find something at that price, or ask if he has gold tuners available, I don't think you will find them cheaper.

No drilling required for the Grovers, except for the screws. Honestly, I didn't bother. I have put various locking tuners on different guitars (I also like Planet Waves Auto Trim tuners) and never drill the hole. The tuners stay put just with the screw in top bushing, but no harm in the extra screw hole if you feel it is necessary. [sperzels are the exception, in that they generally have a metal stud that needs a screw sized hole to go into, which acts the same a screw for stabilizing the tuners in one spot.]

On my '97 Samick Sheraton II I replaced the tuners with gold Grover Rotomatic Mini Locking tuners. The mini just means that the knobs are smaller than normal' date=' as far as I can tell. They have an 18:1 gear ratio.

I agree with Twang in that I can tell very little difference between the guitars I have with regular Grovers and locking Grovers, but I say go ahead and get the locking set. As for price, I looked around a bit. I paid $46.95 for my set, plus $6.95 shipping. I bought them from E-bay seller rog2121. I would have to say that this seller seems to have about the lowest prices for these tuners. I think I also bought another set a while back. The rub is, he doesn't always seem to have that big of a selection at any given time. If you can find something at that price, or ask if he has gold tuners available, I don't think you will find them cheaper.

No drilling required for the Grovers, except for the screws. Honestly, I didn't bother. I have put various locking tuners on different guitars (I also like Planet Waves Auto Trim tuners) and never drill the hole. The tuners stay put just with the screw in top bushing, but no harm in the extra screw hole if you feel it is necessary. [sperzels are the exception, in that they generally have a metal stud that needs a screw sized hole to go into, which acts the same a screw for stabilizing the tuners in one spot.']

I'll give him locking gold grovers at that price. Have to order them though, none in stock right now.

If you used full size you'd have to drill a hole from the back of the headstock.. briefly, you put a piece of tape around the tip of the drill bit, so you dont' drill too deep, and then you have to be sure you are drilling as close to perfectly lined up with the hole as possible.

If Suho says the minis fit.. don't bother!

and yes to the locking.. must faster string changes. really nice tuners.

I'd go grover locking mini in gold.. seems fast, easy and effective!

Sometimes the screw holes will line up, sometime they are a little off. So far everything I've swapped tuners out for grovers on the grover covers the old holes.. so basically, you just mount the tuner, get it straight, tighten the bushind and using a small drill bit, again with tape on the end to get you the right depth, drill just a tiny hole for the new screw and voila!

you can also fill the old screw hole with a bit of round toothpick.. it's hardwood so it's fine.

and if the holes are real close to each other, you can toothpick fill, using white glue, let it dry, and redrill, so it's not a huge hard problem or anything.

Archived