Gibson Brands Forums

New tailpiece, worth it?

nzgrind

Hi all,

I've got an Epi LP Studio which I've swapped a few things on. Replaced the pickups with SD's, new Graphtech nut, all new CTS pots, pickup selector and new wiring and a Gotoh bridge. Basically the only thing that remains is the tailpiece. Has anyone swapped theirs and actually noticed a difference in tone? I've seen people swap them to ones that are better for tailpiece wrapping but I don't do that. If anyone has swapped theirs and found it better, what brand did you use?

Hi all' date='

I've got an Epi LP Studio which I've swapped a few things on. Replaced the pickups with SD's, new Graphtech nut, all new CTS pots, pickup selector and new wiring and a Gotoh bridge. Basically the only thing that remains is the tailpiece. Has anyone swapped theirs and actually noticed a difference in tone? I've seen people swap them to ones that are better for tailpiece wrapping but I don't do that. If anyone has swapped theirs and found it better, what brand did you use?[/quote']

Get a Gotoh lightweight aluminum tp, there is a difference.

Hi all' date='

I've got an Epi LP Studio which I've swapped a few things on. Replaced the pickups with SD's, new Graphtech nut, all new CTS pots, pickup selector and new wiring and a Gotoh bridge. Basically the only thing that remains is the tailpiece. Has anyone swapped theirs and actually noticed a difference in tone? I've seen people swap them to ones that are better for tailpiece wrapping but I don't do that. If anyone has swapped theirs and found it better, what brand did you use?[/quote']

What you need is not just any ol' ordinary Gibson (or equivalent) tailpiece,

what you REALLY need is the one and only Gibson TP-6 (fine tuning) Tailpiece.

I consider this an absolute must-have.

It eliminates all of the difficulties of micro-tuning.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Tailpiece-TP6?sku=306102

Anybody who thinks they need "fine tuners" either needs a new set of ordinary tuners... or therapy ! ;^)

An aluminium stoptail can make an audible difference ...but the results vary from one instrument to another.

Extra "air" and separation in one application might be a lack of "weight" or a thin sound in another.

That said, there is some perceived improvement more often than not.

Gotoh do an aluminium item for sensible money which is a drop in fit for Standard Epis. If you want something really posh...try the "Pigtail" . A really accurate repro of the vintage item...but silly money.

Anybody who thinks they need "fine tuners" either needs a new set of ordinary tuners... or therapy ! ;^)

An aluminium stoptail can make an audible difference ...but the results vary from from instrument to another.

Extra "air" and separation in one application might be a lack of "weight" or a thin sound in another.

That said' date=' there is [i']some [/i]perceived improvement more often than not.

Gotoh do an aluminium item for sensible money which is a drop in fit for Standard Epis. If you want something really posh...try the "Pigtail" . A really accurate repro of the vintage item...but silly money.

You're absolutely right.

Who needs a big clunky piece of garbage with tuners?

Where's my head at...the Dr.'s Chair?

Anyhow.

I'd stick with what'cha got

If it ain't broke

Archived