Gibson Brands Forums

acoustic pick-up recommendations?

Judesmiles

I recently got an LR Baggs Element put into my AJ500RC.

I couldn't be happier. I didn't want to drill out a huge area on the side and have major 'surgery' done to it.

This systems required only one small hole in the bridge and another to be opened up just a tiny bit more to make room for the plug. It was virtually painless and it sounds great. Plus I didn't want to spend a whole lot of money on it.

The best part for me is that I don't necessarily have to lug a huge amp around. I can simply plug into any board since this thing has a little preamp down inside. :(

G-Luck.

D-

http://www.lrbaggs.com/html/products/systems_element.shtml

I agree.I recently installed an LR.Baggs onboard element system to my EF-500ra (I did do major surgery to get the EQ) and it sounds awesome.Plenty of lows and shimmering highs and even some body sensativity.Great choice for an aftermarket upgrade.The new ones have a volume and a tone control mounted in the sound hole for even more control over your sound.You can't go wrong with this one.

I agree.I recently installed an LR.Baggs onboard element system to my EF-500ra (I did do major surgery to get the EQ) and it sounds awesome.Plenty of lows and shimmering highs and even some body sensativity.Great choice for an aftermarket upgrade.The new ones have a volume and a tone control mounted in the sound hole for even more control over your sound.You can't go wrong with this one.

• 2 weeks later...

In my Vintage FT-45 I have an undersaddle pickup that is fantastic. I recently contacted Martin to get recommendations for my D-28 and it was suggested that the LRBaggs I-Beam Active would be the best bet. You can install it yourself if your handy but can have it installed for around $100 total. NOTE: this is for pinned string bridges only..........J

I had my luthier install a Fishman Natural undersaddle transducer in one of my acoustics. It's an active rig, with a battery and end-pin jack. The whole rig with installation was a little shy of $2 bills.

Worth every cent. Sounds terrific. No EQ box, since I didn;t want to have anyone cut holes in my

30 year old guitar.

solpig - Are you thinking about the I Beam? If not let us know what you're going to go with and why. Even though it was suggested by a Martin technician to use the LRBaggs, I'm still really fond of the under saddle Fishman..........J

I have an AJ500RNS & also had a Fishman Natural undersaddle pickup installed. Purchased it from a local music shop for a cost of $175 (included $35 installation fee). Very pleased with the design & sound quality. Tried a Dean Markely soundhole pickup & happened to get a defective unit, then tried another brand of soundhole pickup that actually worked. I sounded ok, but really didn't want to have something I had to install & remove frequently, so I went with the undersaddle unit. Even though they are about twice the price of the soundhole type, I think it is money well spent.

solpig - Are you thinking about the I Beam? If not let us know what you're going to go with and why. Even though it was suggested by a Martin technician to use the LRBaggs' date=' I'm still really fond of the under saddle Fishman..........J[/quote']

I searched the I-beam and it seems to be an upgraded element?? I don't stay too hip to new gear. I just looked again and my AJ was pre-shadow system, and they all say Baggs element. Is the I-beam all that much different? It's about 60 dollars more for the unit.

The one in My Martin was whatever was 'state of the art' in '04. I remember the Luthier thinking it was funny when I asked him where the Battery went (all my previous acoustics had one hidden somewhere)

I had to play the Flat Rock Music Festival and my Guild was dying....I ran out and in one week played every guitar in Nashville under 1500 bucks. 36 hours before I left, they handed me my Martin with the pick-up installed. I rehearsed once and went on stage to open the festival, never having plugged it in before (lesson learned)..it was AWFUL! All Brittle and trebly no contour.....yechhh.

Since then I have never ever had to plug it in again. I have the paperwork somewhere, but I am pretty sure it was made by Dean Markley.

As I wrote on the other string, I have never ever played one of these that didn't need major parametric EQing until this Baggs. I just figured since I finally found one that works, why switch?

-piggy

solpig - I'm not familiar with the I Beam except for that it was "suggested" for my Martin. Two of my acoustics have the undersaddle style Fishman and it works for me. As PJ noted earlier the Fishman Natural is simple and effective. Go to www.fishman.com or call their Customer Service Dept @ 505-988-9665..Let us know. Oh yeah, I've had similar experiences on stage with equipment failure. I feel for you, but its all part of the fun..........J

• 3 weeks later...

The element is an under the saddle piezo type pickup that is covered in flexible braided wire and is equally sensative the whole length(well about 3 inches) so any string spacing will work.The I-Beam is a sound board transducer that is mounted underneath the bridge on the bridge plate just in front of the bridge pins.It picks up sound more like a microphone and gives alot of top vibration sensativity.With the I-beam, you could talk directly into the soundhole and it would pickup what you say and put it through the amp or PA.The Element uses more string and saddle pressure to get it's sound although it still picks up 3 dimensional vibrations on a smaller scale.

Fishman Natural II for Large Bodied guitars or a Natural I for fingerstyle or smaller bodied guitars work very well without hacking up the guitar. I have both in everything from an old gibson to a Martin D-35 and they sound great....really warm with a tube preamp in front!

Archived