Gibson Brands Forums

The last time i get anything from MF...

FrankS1281734010

as some of the guys from the old board might remember, i ordered a refurb '57 LP junior reissue (one of the 'mystery' juniors) in the middle of january (on the 17th to be exact) and it STILL hasn't come in. the postal service doesn't even have any record of it being shipped out, although they claim to have shipped it out the day after i ordered it..

i just want my guitar.....:(

Was that you? Oh man, I was wondering about that since I saw that horrible photoshop job MF did for that Refurb Junior ad. I read on HC that someone got one and it had Hber's instead.

It's so messed up what has become of MF in the last year or so. I can't understand how anyone can continue a successful business the way they have been treating customers lately. I keep hearing horror stories about them.

In the past I only had good experiences with them, shame to see them screwing it all up.

I must count myself lucky, since I got my Les Paul from order (late on a Sunday night) to delivery (afternoon of the next Thursday) without a problem. Well, the only hitch was that the so-called "tracking" still showed it as not having been processed yet even after the FedEx truck delivered it. My experience with them was positive but I do realize that I must've been fairly lucky with my order.

I must count myself lucky' date=' since I got my Les Paul from order (late on a Sunday night) to delivery (afternoon of the next Thursday) without a problem. Well, the only hitch was that the so-called "tracking" still showed it as not having been processed yet even after the FedEx truck delivered it. My experience with them was positive but I do realize that I must've been fairly lucky with my order.[/quote']

Eact same thing here. Web site does not update at all. Ive had mine since thursday and it still shows not been procesed yet. I ordered it late friday night had it thursday morning.

as some of the guys from the old board might remember' date=' i ordered a refurb '57 LP junior reissue (one of the 'mystery' juniors) in the middle of january (on the 17th to be exact) and it STILL hasn't come in. the postal service doesn't even have any record of it being shipped out, although they claim to have shipped it out the day after i ordered it..

i just want my guitar.....:([/quote']

Don't even get me started about MF... If you ever do get your Junior, it'll probably be BROKEN, like the 2 '57 RI Juniors they sent me... And don't expect your money back any time soon.... Takes 'em about 3 weeks... I'm STILL waiting on my refund for the second one I sent back... They tell me I'll have it by the end of the month! At least this time they're not telling me; "you should have it in a couple of days" every week...

Musicians Friend sent me a mic stand and the it came sticking out of the box, which was barely left. And then I ordered another mic stand recently and it came missing a piece. But for that I don't realyl care, because they gave me a 20% off discount on anything and free shipping. So I bought my Melody Maker with it and it came farely quickly, a little over a week.

Haven't had any problems with MF yet, I've ordered form them about ten or so times in the last four years. Actually ordering from them later today, cos they sent me a 10% off coupon for my troubles as they were moving their warehouse (my order from November actually arrived a day early). We'll see if they come through for me. Then again, I've only ever ordered one instrument from them. Maybe they're better with the small stuff than the big stuff.

I'll have to agree with all the other comments. MF is a disaster. I ordered a couple of Music stands from MF because they were about 1/2 the price of what Same Day Music was offering (for the same stand.) Their site said the item was "in stock." Got a backorder notice from them - their site still showed "in stock." I complained via email - didn't even get a response. Received the stands about 2 weeks later.. No apology for lousy service. They will be my last resort in the future. I definitely would not order anything expensive from them.

OK this crazY!!!

Just got my Highway 1 Tele delivered today...

Wrong neck (ordered rosewood' date=' got maple)

totally wrong guitar!!! and to boot, I received a "higher end" model...

I guess it's my lucky day!!!

I guess MF's kookiness works the other way too!

[/quote']

....i hate you. haha.

I too have had problems with MF. Promised shipping date missed by a week. I canceled the order.

Normally I try to get things locally. Since I am a local musician and therefore a local business, it seems only right to support other local businesses. Besides, the extra service you get from a local music store (often not a big-box outlet) can well be worth the little extra you pay for the item in the first place. And you get the warm and fuzzy feeling of keeping some of the money in your local economy.

But my local music store is small, and doesn't have many major franchises so their stock is limited, and often they cannot get what I want. Then I might either drive 60+ miles to West Palm Beach Florida's Guitar Center or George's Music and pick it up there or else order from the Internet.

Of the Internet stores I have found, I have had good service with zzounds.com (note: I have no affiliation with zzounds).

What other Internet stores have you all found to be good?

Insights and incites by Notes

The only internet store I have used was MF. I bought my Dot deluxe and a hard shell case. The order went out that day and arrived four days later. Everything was in excellent condition. My main gripe was with UPS. Their tracking system doesn't give you any idea where your merchandise is anymore. And they just left two large crates at my doorstep without ringing the bell or getting a signature.

This is my first new guitar purchase in 25 years so I don't buy a lot of equipment, but I was satisfied with the service I got from MF. (just thought I would post a positive remark)

What other Internet stores have you all found to be good?

I have dealt with all the major online dealers and the best I've found' date=' in terms of prompt shipping and quality customer service, is American Musical Supply. [/quote']

I like AMS, especially since they allow you to spread the payments over 3 or 5 months time. I'm waiting for them to get the Ultra IIs in stock.

I certainly sympathize about that '57 Junior and have to think that there is something drastically wrong with the whole batch. Maybe the pallet fell off the loading dock. These guitars seem to have major problems one way or another.

Have to agree about Sweetwater. Same price as MF and super service. I gotta admit that I personally have had good luck with MF. I've returned several items no hassle whatsoever. But Sweetwater takes the cake, that's for sure. Heck, they even set up every guitar over (I think) $299. I ordered an elitist dot a couple of years ago & asked them to put on a set of GHS Burnished Nickel strings 9-42 & they did no problem. It was set up perfectly when I got it.

And, like you guys, when I can get the same price, I get my stuff from a local guy, Music Sound World, here in Tulsa. The only problem there is that he's a former Gibson dealer (got his ticket pulled when Gib did away with most of their dealers) so there's no Epis or Gibsons there. But he's a Fender & Ibanez dealer so I buy all my Fenders there. They are always set up perfectly. I've got a friend with a Kansas drivers license so he 'buys' the stuff for me so I don't have to pay sales tax. (An 'out-of-stater' doesn't have to pay it).

I never buy anything from Guitar Center. I go in there all the time to play different guitars (and that isn't very gratifying since every guitar in there is set up terribly. You've got to use your imagination to envision what the guitar might be after it's set up properly). And nobody in there knows anything about guitars. And, quite honestly, they never have some of the guitars that I'd love to play, like a Firebird, Broadway, Joe Satriani 1200, Billy Bo, Elitist Sheraton (or any elitist for that matter) etc. As a matter of fact I was in there awhile back & talked to 3 different salesmen and none of the 3 had ever even heard of elitists. They're the local Gibson/Epiphone dealers & these clowns had never heard of elitists. (There is probably a larger story there, over & above the cluelessness of the salesmen).

One last ramble: Many of us remember so fondly the days when the local music stores took such good care of us but I'm suggesting we're excersizing some 'selective memories'. Yeah, we got great service but at the same time we thought we were getting a great deal when they knocked 20% off the 'list price'. Like they were doing us a big favor. I usually have to take my MF guitars to my guitar tech but for the price I pay for them I can afford to do that & still get a 'good deal'.

Yes, I forgot Sweetwater.

A few years ago, after hurricanes temporarily devastated the live band business in South Florida, I took a gig on a cruise ship. Two months before we were to fly, I ordered some flight cases from one of two local music stores (the one I will not do business with again) ... and a week before we were to fly, the wrong cases came in. The sales clerk took weeks to place the order and then simply ordered the wrong thing. Waiting until they got a big order to save the store money is understandable - as long as it comes in on time, but waiting and then ordering the wrong product is not. And if that wasn't bad enough, the music store owner did not want to give us our deposit back -- even though it was their mistake (the correct case stock numbers were clearly written on our deposit receipt). We created a big enough disturbance in a crowded music store so to quiet us, he did give us our deposit back.

I called Sweetwater and got them overnight.

So so far for good Internet stores we have:

AMS

Sweetwater

Zzounds

Any more?

Notes

I have purchased a few items from http://musictoys.com/blog/index.php with good service. I never had to send anything back to them cause I got what I ordered and it was in gerfect condition, a couple of pedals.

Actually, I have never had a problem with MF. I have purchased several pedals from them and a refurbished Dot.

I do like Sweetwater though, cause no matter how small the order you get free shipping, unless you want it overnight like Notes did. I just placed an order with them for $30 and will get it tomorrow. They ship Fedex so it's possible to get a package on Saturday. MF usually requires a $100 order first.

There were a few damaged items that I received, but they were taken care of immediately. I bought an amp case for my Hot Rod Deluxe. The retractable handle didn't work very smoothly. I called them and they sent me out a new one the same day, before they even got the one back from me. I also ordered some slides a few weeks ago. One was broken, I called and they sent a new one out the next day, no hassles.

It pays to do as much business with the moms and pops as you can. After all, they will match the price on most mail order ads.

Our band was asked to play one night at the fair last October. We were told that there would be a large PA provided, since they had contracted with a sound guy to do Karaoke each night and provide sound reinforcement for other groups, cloggers, etc. We got there, set up. and waited for the PA to arrive. No show. At the last minute, our drummer called the owner of a local music shop he does a lot of business with and asked about renting a PA. The owner got up from the supper table, drove to the shop, and loaned us a powered board and two large speakers with stands. He saved the day. It would have taken us about and hour and 20 minutes to drive back, load up, and return with ours.

We will buy from him when we can. The price for the PA rental? $35.

Archived