Gibson Brands Forums

Vintage Melody Maker (ends soon)

pohatu771

I've been looking at Strats and Teles, and just now thought to look at Gibson Melody Makers, since they're the same price as a Mexican Strat or Tele.

A quick eBay search gave me a 1966 Melody Maker (SG-style) for just over $300, if anyone's interested. If I had the cash to spend on it, I'd buy it myself, but I just put my money into funding a record.

Apparently it the neck is a little funny.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1966-Gibson-Melody-Maker-SG-NO-RESERVE_W0QQitemZ280196221017QQihZ018QQcategoryZ47073QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

That went for $417.. Not including shipping.. Sellers who don't post a shipping charge give me the willies... I always feel like they're gonna try to charge me $100 if they don't get the money they want for their item... ("duh.... that's what eBay's shipping calculator sez...")

And there's nothing funny about a badly seated neck... I can't believe what people are paying for damaged guitars... I can't get a '57 Junior with a cracked neck for less that retail on eBay! Retail, PLUS shipping!

I'm not saying that Melody Makers don't have some charm. [and some sound really nice]...but many were a POS when new and are still a POS today.

Couldn't fully understand the recent Gibson re-issue. One for the collectors ? maybe . The players can buy a Junior or Special re-issue for not too much more .

"Not including shipping.. Sellers who don't post a shipping charge give me the willies... I always feel like they're gonna try to charge me $100 if they don't get the money they want for their item... ("duh.... that's what eBay's shipping calculator sez...") "

I agree with you 100%. I usually pass by auctions w/no shipping charge added. I also pass up auctions where they want $75 - $100 for shipping a guitar that you know would be no more than $40 or $50. I understand that sellers are attempting to cover their paypal costs by adding it on to the shipping charge, but I won't pay outrageous fees.

If the seller wants a certain dollar amount for an item, put a reserve on the auction. If they don't sometimes they win and sometimes they lose. That's business.

"Not including shipping.. Sellers who don't post a shipping charge give me the willies... I always feel like they're gonna try to charge me $100 if they don't get the money they want for their item... ("duh.... that's what eBay's shipping calculator sez...") "

I agree with you 100%. I usually pass by auctions w/no shipping charge added. I also pass up auctions where they want $75 - $100 for shipping a guitar that you know would be no more than $40 or $50. I understand that sellers are attempting to cover their paypal costs by adding it on to the shipping charge' date=' but I won't pay outrageous fees.

If the seller wants a certain dollar amount for an item, put a reserve on the auction. If they don't sometimes they win and sometimes they lose. That's business.[/quote']

Yeah... I sell items on eBay all the time, so I know shipping rates... There's no way I'm paying more than $40 to have a guitar shipped to me... The median rate is about $30-$35 to anywhere... When I sell an item, I start the bidding at just a little below the price I want to get and let it ride.. If I get more than that, then it's gravy.. But I know how much the item is worth and (for the most part), so does the buyer... I think reserves tend to turn people off.. Only a newbie gets excited when they see a low starting bid with the words: "Reserve Not Met" underneath..

I'm not saying that Melody Makers don't have some charm. [and some sound really nice]...but many were a POS when new and are still a POS today.

Couldn't fully understand the recent Gibson re-issue. One for the collectors ? maybe . The players can buy a Junior or Special re-issue for not too much more .

I agree fully. Never touched one worth more than $50

I was looking at an auction the other day for an acoustic guitar and a gig bag' date=' and the sell said "figure 50 pounds for shipping."

My acoustic in the same Roadrunner bag he was selling don't weigh nearly fifty pounds.[/quote']

50 is silly, but FedEx & UPS (if they merged would they be FedUP) charges at the 30 pound rate for oversized packages no matter how much the package actually weighs.

It doesn't bother me if an eBay seller charges a high shipping rate, as long as it's disclosed up front. I always figure the total price I'm willing to pay including shipping and adjust my bids accordingly --- I figure other buyers do the same. If a guitar is worth $500 to me, I don't much care if it's $400 plus $100 shipping or $470 plus $30 shipping.

I think the same way too.. I always consider the shipping as part of the total price of the guitar... That's why it cheeses me off to see a guitar that I want, and would be willing to buy, if only the shipping didn't push it above the threshold.. And if it's got an outrageously high shipping charge, I'll pass it by, just on principle... Some sellers seem to have this notion that the buyer should pay them a wage, above the actual cost of shipping and materials, to cover the time it takes them to pack up their item for you... Like it's a part- time job or something...

I always consider the shipping cost when I bid on something. If the seller doesn't list a price, I use the USPS website to estimate.

If they do list a price, and it doesn't cost that much, I don't care. I agreed to pay it. But if they don't, and then charge me double what it cost them, I'll complain. I've gotten refunds before.

Archived