Gibson Brands Forums

Sheraton and a p90

Oldscool0943

Well the original Sheratons had the Epi mini 'buckers...which typically have a brighter, more open and "bouncy" sound.

A different sound to the more ragged P90... but with a similar tonal balance.

The best bet with a modern "sherry" would be to go with one of various humbucker sized P90s which are now around.

The Gibson P94 and the SD Phat Cat are two examples...with many other makers now coming to the party.

It's actually quite a popular 335 series mod...so equally appropriate for the Sheraton.

Hey all' date='

I remember or at least I think I remember a post about

adding a P90 to the neck and leaving a bucker on the bridge. That sounds cool for a

Sherri but not sure as to the neck or bridge. Would the two sound cool. Please

give me your thoughts!

Oldschool[/quote']

I have a sheraton with Kent Armstrong p90s in it.. humbuck size.

while I do like the bridge quite well and wont swap it out.. I would actually give better compliments to the p90 in the neck.

mud is gone.. no humbuck mush on the mids or lows.. the highs are better, cleaner and not as bright or even harsh as on the bridge pup..

For my money, the p90 in the neck is the thing to have.. plenty of power, plenty of tone, well balanced, too.

I've got mine set almost flat with the mounting ring and use the pole pieces to adjust string to string balance.. works beautifully.

at around 9K the hot p90s will keep up with your bucker easily, you could even use the vintage output models.

I put p90s in my lp studio, too..

the sheraton has plastic covers.. and is more prone to noise.

the studio has chrome covers and is dead quiet.

the sheraton is brighter, partly because of the design and wood used..

the studio however has no problem being bright but is warmer overall. again, due to the wood and probably the difference in covers.

If I had to say in one word what the difference is between a bucker in the neck pos and a p90, it would articulate.

It's so clean and clear.. yet you can get all that jazzy warmth you want with just your tone or volume pot.

For instance.. using a commonly known song.. I back the treble off slightly, neck pup alone.. back the volume off a bit for noise reduction*finger noises, string noises* and blackbird comes out soft and pretty and warm.

the same thing holds true for comping or jazzy lines..

for overdrive the neck p90s is nice and phat.. good phat.. not flab, not too many mashed potatos, and again, it's more clear and balanced than a humbuck.

in short, I'm a fan and that's the sound I love the most in a neck pup so far!

and by the way.. I've got one in stock. I ordered the wrong set for my guitar and just kept the one I have. It'll pop right in. good price, too, since I don't have a customer for it.

chrome cover, brand new in box.

Archived