Gibson Brands Forums

Guitardater project

sunriver

Hi everyone,

I'm liking the new forum, seems like it is a great improvement over the old one.

My question is, has anyone tried the guitardaterproject site lately? I just bought a '92 ES-165 Herb Ellis and I went to see the particulars on it through the guitardater site. It seems like it is full of links to other sites and no way to check on a guitar's serial number through entering information in their search box.

Am I missing something? Or am I just not hitting the right links to find out about Gibson guitars.

Does anybody have a different link to the old site where you could select a brand, then input the serial number and it would give you the manufacturing plant, month, year and production number for that guitar.

I haven't looked up and serial numbers for quite some time, so I might have missed it if the site has changed significantly lately.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Rich

OOops, their lease on the guitarprojectdater.org domain name has expired;

they either have moved, haven't paid the bills or just forgot to renew the registration.

Hopefully they'll get the domain back soon or come up with a site somewhere else.

Hi everyone' date='

I'm liking the new forum, seems like it is a great improvement over the old one.

My question is, has anyone tried the guitardaterproject site lately? I just bought a '92 ES-165 Herb Ellis and I went to see the particulars on it through the guitardater site. It seems like it is full of links to other sites and no way to check on a guitar's serial number through entering information in their search box.

Am I missing something? Or am I just not hitting the right links to find out about Gibson guitars.

Does anybody have a different link to the old site where you could select a brand, then input the serial number and it would give you the manufacturing plant, month, year and production number for that guitar.

I haven't looked up and serial numbers for quite some time, so I might have missed it if the site has changed significantly lately.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Rich[/quote']

It was working yesterday. As I recall, current Gibson format is YDDDYxxxx. So your '92 would be like 90052xxxx. The three numbers between the 9 & 2 stands for the day of the year, in this case 005 would be the 5th day, January 5 1992. I think they've used that system for some time.

Thanks Jerry,

I guess what I was trying to find out mostly, is where the guitar was made. The Gibson case that it came in says Montana J.G.H. Division. There is no sticker inside the guitar to give any indication on where it was made.

I would assume that that means Bozeman, Mt. I didn't know that they made hollowbody archtops in Montana. I thought that they made acoustic flattops there.

The guitar seems still in pretty good condition, and the tone is great, notwithstanding not being set up at all. I will put new flat wound strings on it and then see what it sounds like.

Boy, without the guitardaterproject there will be endless people wanting info on where/when/how their guitar was made. I was hoping there would be a "sticky" for that one alone LOL.

Thanks to all who replied to the thread.

Rich

Archived