Gibson Brands Forums

epi lp quilt tops

sket

I've got the red-wine version of G&F's classic. Put a set of Phat Cats on it. It's one of my main axes (I have, at last count, 32 electric guitars) and I play it regularly. MF still has a few of them left at $449. One of the last (I think) Korean-made LPs still for sale. I would gladly recommend them to anybody.

I was gonna put a picture of it up here but don't seem to be able to understand how to do it on this new forum. For you Photobucket users, what line do we copy there to paste here? The 'direct link'? And they're asking for a URL here. What's with that? They didn't ask that on the old forum.

thanks, guys.http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f211/old_dude/quilt7-1.jpg

"Hey Suho, what's that bridge pickup? Is it a humbucker?? Unusual looking...that's a sweet lookin' geetar you got there!"

Thanks, Matiac. It is a GFS Brooklyn model, based on a DeArmond. It sounds very nice and gritty contrasted with the very clean sounding stock neck pup. Unfortunately, the geetar is for sale locally on Craigslist. I put it up last night with my VSB Sheraton. The Sheraton is pretty much already sold. They have to go because I brought home an Emperor Regent recently, and I already have other LP type guitars and another SHeraton.

It is beautiful though, no?

Isn't that top 2 pieces?

Yes. Fancy figured tops on nice guitars - and fancy figured tops on really cheap guitars trying to pass as expensive guitars, too - are often 2 pieces made by splitting a thick piece that has nice grain edgewise so you wind up with 2 much thinner pieces that have nearly identical grain. If you turn the top piece bottom-side up and lay it beside the bottom piece, you can mirror the grain but moving in the opposite direction. Its called "book-matched" after the manner the top piece is "opened".

Otherwise, any guitar that has an opaque finish doesn't need pretty wood in the top. So, if you are already using several pieces of wood to construct the body, why not use 2 or more pieces of scrap from a better piece of wood and fit them together to allow the finish to lay on, maybe, a maple cap or veneer. Saves on material cost, allows the use of at least some better woods in the final product, opens up an entire range of advertising and marketing possibilities, justifies a higher price while allowing deeper discounts at point of sale. Its why sometimes you get a good surprise and sometimes you get a bad surprise when stripping a guitar body for re-finishing.

There's probably more to it than that, and now I've broken the ice I'm sure there will be somebody else with more info.

Archived