Gibson Brands Forums

GFS P-90's

FrankS1281734010

..anyone know if they're worth getting?

'cuz i was thinking whenever i get my money back from MF for that whole '57 junior fiasco - not that i'm getting my hopes up on that happening any time soon - i'd get one of these (NOT from musician's friend, obviously)...

485894.jpg

...and changing the pickups to black ones and pretty much everything from chrome to gold, and kinda make myself a '56 LP Custom (minus the alnico V at the neck, but a p-90 would suffice). i looked everything else up at guitarfetish and it'd only run me about 138 bucks, including pickups. the only thing i'd have to find would be a black pickguard that's cut for p-90's, but i'm sure that wouldn't be terribly hard to find.

Personally I'm not a big fan of gold hardware. I have a Sheraton with gold, but I think once it wears off I'm gonna change it to chrome hardware. But, that's just me. The gold does look nice when it's new, but I don't like the looks of gold when it wears off.

GFS has very good stuff, and at an affordable price.

ok well that answers that qustion' date=' so what do you guys think about all the mods? worth doing?[/quote']

Epiphone P90s are said to be OK, I'd just rip the pickguard off and let the guitar sing. Black on black would be dull IMO.

Get the guitar and start planning after you find out what you don't like about it.

..anyone know if they're worth getting?

'cuz i was thinking whenever i get my money back from MF for that whole '57 junior fiasco - not that i'm getting my hopes up on that happening any time soon - i'd get one of these (NOT from musician's friend' date=' obviously)...

[img']http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/8/9/4/485894.jpg[/img]

...and changing the pickups to black ones and pretty much everything from chrome to gold, and kinda make myself a '56 LP Custom (minus the alnico V at the neck, but a p-90 would suffice). i looked everything else up at guitarfetish and it'd only run me about 138 bucks, including pickups. the only thing i'd have to find would be a black pickguard that's cut for p-90's, but i'm sure that wouldn't be terribly hard to find.

I also would love to know if the P90 are worth getting. i want to put a P90 at the neck and a Mean 90 at the bridge, is this a could idea? what are the output levels of both? guitarfetish only has the p90's output level.

The Mean 90 won't fit this guitar' date=' unless you want to do some routering. The Mean 90 is a humbucker sized P90.

Is it worth getting? I have a GFS P90 in my '57 Junior RI and I love it, so the answer from me is YES![/quote']

I dont mean this guitar but rather a junior special i have.

Archived