Gibson Brands Forums

anybody able to give me some definitive ways to verify a '44 J45?

jannusguy

might go look at one sight unseen. has a truss rod and script logo (not banner). no FON # or any interior markings, and according to fab flat tops, that's typical for this year. how do i know the neck is hog and not poplar which was being used during the war. 4pc. top vs. 2? which is the correct bridge, AJ style or belly up? i've seen both. maybe somebody here has a pic of a '44 and could post?

thx!

If no banner, then almost verifiably not a '42-'45 J-45! According to legend, the '46 was characterized by a script logo but no Banner, sort of a transition to the later block letter logo. But as I read and understand it, the war era J-45 always had both the banner and the script logo.

Fred

I think that it's the general assumption that a Script Non-Banner logo Gibson is a 46 or 47. Before that they had banners, after that they had the modern block script. Either way, it's probably going to be a great guitar. Good luck!

A script only Logo indicates a 46 as mentioned above. They most often do not have a FON. Should have a small rectangle bridge (like a AJ). Should have a two piece sitka top. Mahogany neck block would be correct. The sunburst on these my be just a bit different in color. You see more J45, SJs, LGs with the script only logo, the J50 Script only logo is quite scarce and the guitar Bob Dylan played early in his career.

The neck will be mahogany, it is the neck block that was sometimes poplar during the war. Top is most probably two piece. If four piece the joints are on the wings in the lower bout.

TM

one more thing on this TM, would the J50 still have been a natural finish vs. the VSB?

Yes. There were some natural topped J45 made during the war years. They were called J45N. These guitars are very scarce. The first introduction of the J50 was around 46, 47. It was a natural topped guitar.

This is a guitar certainly worth taking a look at. The script only guitar is one of my favorites. I have a J45 and J50 from circa 1947. They sound very different. The J50 is very lightly built and has the tone of the war time guitars the J45 is heavier and more of a 50s sound.

Please let us know about your discovery.

TM

well, so far nothing has happened. the guy flaked out on me. after our initial conversation, where he asked me to estimate value on a guitar that was sight unseen, he sent me an email stating his price was 4K firm. i told him before i would consider anything, i had to at least see a picture of it, via email, in order to determine it was what he said it was and to justify a 4 hour drive. he can't find his camera! whaddaya gonna do......

Archived