Gibson Brands Forums

Decisions, Decisions! (GAS warning!)

luvastogie

Had just a couple of minutes tonight before I had to be some place so I ran into one of the local guitar shops. Hanging there is a 1994 Samick made LP (s/n S4111XXXX) in a, I believe, Heritage Cherry burst. It's got a ding or two on it but overall pretty clean. I almost might be mistaken but I believe it's a birdseye top on it, if not, it's an interesting looking quilt top but I'm convinced it's birdseye. Did they make them like that back then? Also, were green key tuners standard on those back then? If not, someone has changed them. Not sure what p_ups are in it because I didn't get a chance to plug it in but the neck felt real nice in my hands looked straight. Gonna go back and check it out a bit more this weekend. Price tag says $425 but I'm sure that could come down. What are the opinions out there on the price and overall quality of the guitars coming out back then? Is it worth it?

Svet, I do enjoy the occasional cigar. I enjoy a nice medium to robust full bodied smoke. My top choice is a Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur #2. English Claro wrapper, no Maduro for me. I do enjoy trying new ones and have quite a few fall back choices like CAO, Baccarat, Macanudo, and my friends have been pushing me towards Rocky Patel heavily lately.

i recently picked up a '91 Epi LP... here are some (crappy) pics.... Heritage Cherry Sunburst... but very very dark red... weighs in at 8.9 lbs... green tulip tuners... gibson on the truss rod cover... large pickup rings.... besides a couple oh so tiny dings, this thing was mint - especially for a '91.... very solid build quality... i really dig the finish on it... the flames are pretty nice... 3-piece body, but no veneer on the back which is nice... has a nice slim neck profile (feels really great to play - i have smaller hands)...

S/N on mine is 11006xx (no letter in front... most likely made by Samick, but not confirmed)...

2232234270_97c51d7ecb.jpg2232256700_e9b222b5f8.jpg2232256674_2d841086e4.jpg2232234254_0ee87c56a1.jpg

i can honestly say that the build quality on this one is on par, if not better than the current ones.... maybe i just lucked out and found a good one.... but i really like mine and glad i stumbled upon it (bought it in a used guitar shop)...

with that said i will be completely replacing all electronics in the near future (SD '59 pickups, CTS pots, bumblebee caps, braided vintage wiring, Switchcraft output jack and toggle switch, and Gibson gold (or amber - not sure) top hat knobs).... :-)

peace

Had just a couple of minutes tonight before I had to be some place so I ran into one of the local guitar shops. Hanging there is a 1994 Samick made LP (s/n S4111XXXX) in a' date=' I believe, Heritage Cherry burst. It's got a ding or two on it but overall pretty clean. I almost might be mistaken but I believe it's a birdseye top on it, if not, it's an interesting looking quilt top but I'm convinced it's birdseye. Did they make them like that back then? Also, were green key tuners standard on those back then? If not, someone has changed them. Not sure what p_ups are in it because I didn't get a chance to plug it in but the neck felt real nice in my hands looked straight. Gonna go back and check it out a bit more this weekend. Price tag says $425 but I'm sure that could come down. What are the opinions out there on the price and overall quality of the guitars coming out back then? Is it worth it?[/quote']

I had the good luck to catch a seminar for Greg Bennet model Samick Guitars a couple of years ago when Greg was on the road promoting the brand. I was particularly impressed with the quality, sound, and looks of the line. Several Magazines have named the GB models "Guitar of the year" and Greg told us during the seminar/concert that about 80% of the non big name guitars are made in the Samick factory in Korea. In fact, I believe that he said that of it's not a Fender or Gibson, it's probably made there.

I wouldn't be hesitant to buy a Samick if it looks good and plays well. Every Samick I've picked up and played had a good low action setup and beautiful finish.

http://www.gregbennettguitars.com/about.html

I wouldn't be hesitant to buy a Samick if it looks good and plays well. Every Samick I've picked up and played had a good low action setup and beautiful finish.

+1 on the Samick guitars. I had a Epi Sheraton II Samick and still have a Samick AS120 (IBZ). Both great guitars that rival any others.

Svet' date=' I do enjoy the occasional cigar. I enjoy a nice medium to robust full bodied smoke. My top choice is a Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur #2. English Claro wrapper, no Maduro for me. I do enjoy trying new ones and have quite a few fall back choices like CAO, Baccarat, Macanudo, and my friends have been pushing me towards Rocky Patel heavily lately.[/quote']

Hi Luvsastogie, I smoke cigars on occasion too! Now that the winter is here the cutter and lighter stay put and the humidor sealed. I won't smoke in the house or in the car but come the summer I'll sit outside after work with an acoustic and a stogie! I'm a big fan of CAO's and Romeo & Julieta's. I was smoking a lot of Maduros in particular before old man winter reared his head. The MX2 Robusto's from CAO are one of my fav's!

Here's my humidor:

Picture420.jpg?t=1202567625

She's fairly empty now as that is an old picture. It's time for a refill!

A friend of mine gave me a bunch of Hoyo de Monterrey Double Corona's from Cuba and they are the best smoke I've ever had! He tells me he's going to get me some more and I can't wait!

cubans.jpg?t=1202568263

Hi Luvsastogie' date=' I smoke cigars on occasion too! Now that the winter is here the cutter and lighter stay put and the humidor sealed. I won't smoke in the house or in the car but come the summer I'll sit outside after work with an acoustic and a stogie! I'm a big fan of CAO's and Romeo & Julieta's. I was smoking a lot of Maduros in particular before old man winter reared his head. The MX2 Robusto's from CAO are one of my fav's!

Here's my humidor:

[img']http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x263/svetkt88/Picture420.jpg?t=1202567625[/img]

She's fairly empty now as that is an old picture. It's time for a refill!

A friend of mine gave me a bunch of Hoyo de Monterrey Double Corona's from Cuba and they are the best smoke I've ever had! He tells me he's going to get me some more and I can't wait!

cubans.jpg?t=1202568263

Damn, that's impressive. Gives me a whole other type of GAS. I completely agree with the no smoking in the house or car too. Outside on the deck is a great place to burn one and strum a little. I've got a cuban Cohiba that I picked up on my last cruise just waiting for the weather to turn!

+1 on the Samick guitars. I had a Epi Sheraton II Samick and still have a Samick AS120 (IBZ). Both great guitars that rival any others.

+1 here too. One of my local shops is a Samick/LTD-ESP dealer. They're great guitars. Bang for the Buck is second to none. I agree, pretty much anything that is made in Korea most likely came out of the Samick Factory.

My LP Custom is Korean and she is quite.....lovely :-

D-

Hey Luvsastogie, I just put my yearly order for cigars in the other night. I had been ording from bestcigarprices.com but they have been killing me with the tobacco tax being that we are both in NY. I went a little overboard thinking that this is probably my last year buying my cigars when all of my money is "my money"! LOL . I'm going to ask my girlfriend to marry me soon and once I do that and we move in together, well, spending may not be so easy. LOL, so it's good to stock up on guitars and other toys now! I have no reason to think she will give me a problem anyway as she has a great profession too and we are pretty comfortable. So I've order a couple of cases of Cohibas, red dot triangulo and a Black Supremo, Montecristo White toros, CAO mx2, Romeo and Julieta Aniversarios, CAO Gold robustos, CAO Maduro robustos, a CAO cx2 and CAO cameroon. I also ordered a couple of cases of the CAO Flavors in the Vanilla as I enjoy those on occasion and they are good around others as they are aromatic.

Archived