Gibson Brands Forums

Inlay coming unglued :(

thunderstruck507

Changed strings on my LP tonight and started playing. Then noticed an odd feeling when I did a bend around the 3rd fret on the 5th string.

Upon close inspection I discovered the 3rd marker inlay is coming up on the bass string side.

Should I just try to pry it up with an exacto knife and super glue it or what?

Well, the inlay was glue free and the neck was so perfectly smooth, I knew there wasn't much hope of me getting all theglue out of such an odd hole properly...so I decided to just go for it since both surfaces were so perfect.

I put a tiny tiny bit of gorilla glue on the inlay and spread it out, then dampened the hole and put it in and capod it down. Just kept an eye on things and took away any glue that seeped out with a qtip.

Everything seems to be great and looks perfect, I'm gonna leave it clamped longer thouhg just to be sure.

If this doesn't work, any more ideas on what glues would be best to use? I might have some elmers wood glue somewhere if thats the best choice. If not I can go buy whatever.

Go to the StewMac website and look for info to be sure but I'm fairly certain that they recommend nothing more than a medium viscosity super glue. (Something more like a gel), for inlay repair. I read an article on it and seems like all they did was the super glue mixed with, (charcoal maybe?), for color at the edge and popped it in place. It's been a while since I saw this so do a little research, but the tips sections in StewMac and Guitar ReRanch should provide a correct method.

Wedgie

Ditto "superglue".

It's literally a hard setting acrylic resin. Ideal stuff really.

Traditional luthiers despise superglue in most applications for various reasons...some valid and some rooted firmly in luddite prejudice ! O:)

My confidence in superglue for certain jobs was cemented [cemented ...](*,) ] when I one day came accross a puddle of it which I'd previously spilt on a work surface and not noticed.

I spent a minute or two poking and prodding it with various hard pointy things, tested it with needle files and abbrasive paper...even polished its surface with cutting polish.

My conclusion was that it's seriously tough stuff and useful for loads of jobs!

I no longer have any qualms about using it in nut slots or for stripped thread repairs in wood , to give two examples..

Archived