Gibson Brands Forums

Father and Son

wwpete521281734008

My son and I play in a band together. Everything we have is in opposite colors. He has a black Dot, I have a Natural Dot. Our solid bodies though look the coolist. I thought that you would like to see them. They are vintage Peavey T-60s (which are probably the most under-rated USA made guitars in history). What do you think?

fatherandsont-60s.jpg

Really neat in a ying yang type balance. Cool picture ,nice guitars too.

Our local music store was a Peavey dealer for years, I can remember the t-60's, mostly in natural,as being pretty cool.

Ive been wondering if I should maybe get a usa made Peavey guitar,I've been thinking for a while that they are undervalued for what they are.

Don't know much about Peavy guitars but they sure do look sweet.

Pretty far out about both of yous playing in the same band too. My son use to gig with us from time to time a few years back and it was allot of fun.

Anyhow way cool pete.

I bought my '79 T-60 (used) in 1980, and I've used it ever since. It's in incredibly well thought-out, well-made and versatile instrument, and sounds great --- for quite a few years it was my only electric (until serious GAS set in). The phase switch and coil-tapping tone controls make it very adaptable, and it does strat and Tele type sounds so well I don't feel the need to own either of those, but it also has humbucker tones that are distinctive and very satisfying. My only gripe about it is the skinny neck --- my left hand gets fatigued a little faster on the Peavey than on guitars with necks that are a bit more substantial.

Some people think they're ugly, but to me they look like the love-child of a Strat and a 335, and the natural finish seems to suit them, in a 1970's back-to-nature crunchy-granola sort of way. I even had to get the matching T-40 bass, which is an AWESOME bass for its sound and versatility --- never understood why they didn't catch on more widely. I like your black-and-white reverse motifs, too, wwpete52!

Here's mine:

PeaveyT60.jpg

I remember the first time I saw a Peavey guitar... I thought: "Wha?? Peavey's making guitars now? This'll go the way of the Ampeg bass in a year or two..." Little did I know they had been making guitars for about 7 or 8 years before I ever saw one...

Harlan Peavey didn't screw around when he decided to get into the guitar biz.. He did a lot of research and hired the best people he could find to produce a quality product.. He was also on the forefront of automation and CNC technology when it was relatively new.. He was watching what was going on with the declining quality of Fender and Gibson under their respective corporate management and sought every means of manufacturing a guitar that would rival the quality of the major American manufacturers while keeping costs competitive... Something that was always a fundamental element in his approach to amp manufacturing..

I've never owned a Peavey guitar or bass, but I've played quite a few... I almost bought a Foundation (II, I think) bass that was made in the 80's... One of the best basses I'd ever put my hands on.. Definitely as good or better than any of the Fenders I was trying out at the time... It was between that, a Fender Jazz and a Fernandez Jazz bass copy... I ended up getting the Fender, because I knew one of the owners of the store (the Peavey was from a different store..) and he gave me pretty good discount... But sometimes, I still wish I bought that Peavey...

Archived