Gibson Brands Forums

What strap for Ebony sheraton?

aznxtasy341

this has probably got something to do with the pyschology of it all, but i cant seem to find a strap that i like or even find comfortable on my sherry. i currently use this green hootenanny strap that i think does not fit the guitar at all.

i was just wondering what you guys wear.

Geeze... There's like a bazillion different kinds of straps out there... Just Google "Guitar Straps", you'll see what I mean... I usually look for something that's padded and wide... The wider the strap, the more weight is distributed across your shoulder... I like "LEVY'S" leather straps, myself.. They make a wide variety of styles. They can get a little spendy, though...

I like the straps that have a hole on each end for the strap buttons. After I narrow it down to that requirement it gets much easier to select. Seriously, a Sherry deserves as much class as it has in its design. The guitar shines and the strap needs to support that class. Green hootenanny is not appropriate for any guitar imho. Comfort is secondary. To quote Billy Crystal, it is better to look good than to feel good. In summary, I prefer a brushed suede strap for my Sherry. Color coordination is dependent on finish. Geez, I'm insufferable tonight. I'm off to bed!

I've tried to match straps to guitars but I always go back to the same thing. There's a Planet Waves nylon with leather ends about 2" wide in solid black that just works. It's not the absolute entry level one. The one I use pretty much for everything is made outta this really supple, flexible, nylon like I've seen used on nice rifle slings. They're inexpensive, $14 to $19 dollars most places, super comfortable, and it doesn't complement nor detract from the instrument. I open the holes up a little and pop in some Schaller strap locks and any handy strap is gonna work on whatever guitar I'm on at the moment. Simplify. I have found a Trench in black denim that had a zipper sewn on it: (I suppose to appeal to the Punk set): after carefully rippin' out the decorative zipper's seams with a razor blade and removing it I found it to work pretty well too. Planet Waves has a slip on gel sholder pad in black I might try soon, looks kinda like a small wrist rest you'd use at a keyboard. I haven't really considered it as a comfort thing as much as a potential neck dive stop measure though.

Wedgie

The Levy Sun motif Jaquard woven straps always look good to me .I have a black one on my Cherry Dot ,a red one on my Strat,they also do a blue one .I think the look is classy and they are comfortable .They are bit pricey though compared to some others .original.jpg

2 1/2" black leather strap with dunlop straplocks.

the kind that you thread the rear portion through the slots to adjust.

I have some on sale. *s* L&M so good stuff.

a couple of very fancy ones I have in stock are tempting me.

I have a blonde sheraton, so this tan/brown on, double thick fancy stitching keeps telling me to stop being so cheap.

I'm not supposed to get into my own stash .. but boy is it hard not to!

I like the idea of a double thick strap, those sheratons are fairly heavy.

And I like the fancy look which compliments the guitar instead of just being the strap I always have used for years.

the epi studio got the same strap but with airbrushed flames.

It's the closest I can come to actually being a hot guitar player!

TWANG

The Levy Sun motif

Hey' date=' I got one of those!!!

Actually, I've been using the same leather strap since the late '70s. It was an Ovation strap, but I've seen them under various brands. The thing I like about it is that there's no metal parts.

[center']

strap.jpg

[/center]

Archived