Gibson Brands Forums

I'm about to buy a Ultra II Les Paul...

Big Norm

I should do it this week end. We can hardly find infos or reviews on this guitar, but the features are interesting. Is there anybody here that already have or try one ? It will replace my Fender American Strat as main guitar. Hope I don't do a mistake !!!

I know it's quite recent, but I had Epi Les Paul Classic ( 2 of them ) in last years and I'm missing the Les Paul shape and sound suddenly. I'm a rythm guitarist in a Classic rock cover band and my back up guitar is a Viking by Hagstrom. I hope I will cover all ranges with these two axes.

What do you think ?

Big Norm

I dont know Norm. I am very interested in the Ultra II myself but keep in mind that it is not your traditional Les PAul. Yes, it will be versatile, but for those looking for old school L.P. tone they may be disappointed.

My advice to you would be to pick up one of the new Prophecy models with the Dirty Fingers pups and may get the Ultra at a later time.

I remember posts about the 1st Ultra where some stated it was a good guitar but if you wanted LesPaul tone to match the LesPaul shape you needed something other than an Ultra. Nobody ever talked bad about it, but more than a few said it sounded little like a solid bodied LesPaul. As I understand it the Ultra II is chambered even more. I think I'd play one first, or at least a Ultra 1 before ordering to be sure it has the tone you seek.

Wedgie

Hi folks and thanks for your comments.

I just want to add little explanations in what I expect from the Ultra II... Since it's gonna replace a Strat, it's ok with me that the sound should be a little more "clean" than a full body LP. Since I like a lot more the look of an LP over a Strat, I tough the new Ultra II would be almost as versatile as a Strat for playing covers... and could finally have a LP as my main guitar. Everytime I had a LP before, it have to be the backup or played for a few songs only, beeing to "heavy" for what we are doing.

I'll go and try one today in a music store...I think it will be more prudent...

Big Norm

Hi folks and thanks for your comments.

I just want to add little explanations in what I expect from the Ultra II... Since it's gonna replace a Strat' date=' it's ok with me that the sound should be a little more "clean" than a full body LP. Since I like a lot more the look of an LP over a Strat, I tough the new Ultra II would be almost as versatile as a Strat for playing covers... and could finally have a LP as my main guitar. Everytime I had a LP before, it have to be the backup or played for a few songs only, beeing to "heavy" for what we are doing.

I'll go and try one today in a music store...I think it will be more prudent...

Big Norm[/quote']

Yeah man I'm ordering one this weekend as well!

Archived