Gibson Brands Forums

Suggestions for JP Emperor II mods

davyk

Hello all,

Glad to have found these forums. I have spent a few days reading through the old posts as well as the old archives at gibson.com. So much great info on here.

I'm the proud new owner of an 03 model JP. First, I know this is pure jazz box, but I like to be different. I'm a novice guitarist, and I came across this one cheap at a second hand store. The finish is wonderful and the feel and playability are fantastic. Something about the body and neck just fit with how I play. Playing it acoustic it has the sweetest clean tone, even with the old strings, tuned it up and just love the tone!!!!

Now for the downside, the electronics are crap. Can't say enough about how bad I dislike this thing plugged in. The jack has loose wires with a bad ground causing a lot of buzz anytime it's plugged in (touch the metal part of the jack and ground with the other hand and it goes away). The tone pots cause major static any time they are touched, the bridge pickup cuts out now and again while playing, the tone pots don't really appear to do anything other than create static actually. But, it was a good price, and I would pay that much just to play acoustic with it on the couch.

The tone, even through a clean channel, is not what I am looking for either. Even through the bridge pickup the bass is far to loud. I've tried tweaking the pup height a bit, but I can't compensate enough. Just strumming a simple G chord all you get is "booom - booom - booom". It's too much bass and too muddy.

So, my plan is to rebuild. Replace all 4 pots, the selector switch, jack, pups, wiring, and possibly a tune-o-matic to replace the wooden bridge.

I'd like some advice about the pups and if I should do the bridge. Like I said, I'm going a bit of a different direction with this guitar. I'd prefer more blues/rockabilly tone than classic jazz (Think Bobbee McGee by Joplin, Elvis That's alright mama, etc). The consensus in the forums seems to be replace the pups with Gibson Classic 57's (classic plus at the bridge), add the tune-o-matic, and pin the bridge. But this is also from people who play jazz. Any recommendations to get a more balanced, clean sound out of this girl? All I want is the electronics to pick up the sweet, clean, crisp sound she has acoustic.

Thanks,

Dave

photo.jpg

Hey davyk ---

Based on your descriptions of the tone you're looking for, I think you should consider P-90 pickups. They're fat single coils, noticeably brighter than humbuckers on a clean setting, and they dirty up nicely when you want them to as well. Several manufacturers make them in housings that will drop right in to the humbucker routs on your JP. GFS Dream 90's have been highly rated by many users, and Gibson P-94's would do the trick also, as well as many others.

Scotty Moore on "That's All Right Mama" --- ES-295 with P-90 pickups. Lots of early rock and roll, rockabilly and blues players used them, so that twangy-crunchy-sparkly sound is right there. Humbuckers on a deep hollowbody --- even Gibson '57 Classics --- are still going to be warmer and thicker sounding, whereas it sounds like you want a brighter, clearer "edgier" tone. That's P-90 territory all the way.

Another option, though lots more expensive, would be TV Jones Filtertrons. His "English Mount" will allow them to adapt to a humbucker rout without any further mods to your guitar (maybe drilling new mounting holes, but that's it).

I'd also suggest replacing the rosewood bridge with a gold Tune-O-Matic, which will brighten up the tone noticeably as well --- at minimal cost and it's easily reversible. If you want to take the rockabilly thing to the next level, you could think about adding a Bigsby (B6 or B60) --- even when you're not using it for vibrato effects it adds brightness to the tone.

Thanks Parabar,

As I am pretty new at all this I am kind of dependent on peoples recommendations. I haven't been playing long enough or with enough different configurations to know exactly what kinds of equipment combos I like.

I think I like a balanced sound. I can like bright, dark, muddy, depends on what the style calls for, but I don't things that are way unbalanced. Right now the bass is so overpowering on this setup that you lose any detail. I hope this makes some sense.

Dave

You might try going here, for some fairly decent sound samples. Bear in mind this is NOT the guitar you use, so tone samples can only be used for a kind of "well, I liked this best in that guitar, so I'll probably like it best in this guitar, too" but its better than nothing, and I've found its overall helpful. Once you decide which sound you like best, you can now shop for similar, or simply buy it on the spot. See what you think of the Seth Lover samples, and the "59 also.

garyelcrrt,

Thanks, great link. It really does help. I think parabar may have nailed it. I love the phat cat P90's. They have a crisp tone clean but dirty they have almost the same same bite as a humbucker.

I guess at the end of the day it's a nice problem to have. So many great things to choose from.

BTW, what is the blue guitar in your pic? It's really sweet.

Dave

You're welcome, and my Dot Studio is equipped with a pair of Phatcats. Its a guitar I keep at my parent's home, so I only get to play it occasionally - and every time, I am impressed all over again with how good the tone is, and how much FUN the guitar is to play. The guitar is the Blue *****, an ES-137 and a guitar I have a definite love/hate relationship with.

Davyk,

I just bought a used Emperor Regent that I too love to play unplugged. The prior owner added a Fishman Powerchip/Powerbridge to it, and the piezos blended in with the regular pup (which i find has the opposite problem from you -- too much high end). THe Fishman adds that balance and edge you might be looking for. Supposedly it cost the guy ~$250 or more but it sure sounds nice.

Just a thought.

Archived