Gibson Brands Forums

Refurbish or Blemish

leps

How bad is the quality of refurbish or blemished guitars? Cause i seen sites with refurb or blem guitars for like 100 dollars cheaper. Would the quality be really bad compared to a new one? Well I know it won't be spanking new but how bad can it be?

How bad is the quality of refurbish or blemished guitars? Cause i seen sites with refurb or blem guitars for like 100 dollars cheaper. Would the quality be really bad compared to a new one? Well I know it won't be spanking new but how bad can it be?

That's exactly the risk you run. I've bought several. Got one with NO truss rod' date=' got another with auto putty filling holes in the body, a few with extremely minor flaws that I had to hunt down, and one or two that a USED or 2ND stamp is the only flaw. This Riviera is a 2nd, and the flaw in the finish is visible in this picture. Can you find it?

[img']http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a393/garyelcrrt/mine2/c6e0c300.jpg[/img]

Nah, see the discolored vertical oval just above the top left corner of the neck pickup? It looks like a reflection, but is actually a polisher burn. What you see between the pickups, Svet, really is a reflection. And the store that sold me the one without a truss rod replaced it immediately, no questions asked, so the name really doesn't matter.

I'm with TWANG. Most blems aren't so noticible or so bad that they have inflicted any damage on playability. Also, most of the major net vendors offer a return. If you're not happy or can't live with that unsightly scratch, send it back. Personally, I've saved a few bucks on blems but usually shy away from "2nds", "Used" and "refurbs". But that's just me. Make sure you know the parameters of the return policy before you click that button and you might be pleasently surprised. . .

N

DCFC0012-1.jpg

This Was a Blem I got from MF a few years ago,I paid $336.00 for her, msrp for her was $1049 according to MF.

Couldn't find a mark on her. Jackson DK2 Pro. Handpainted (stenciled?) Graphic signed by the painter in japanese,

Made in Japan in 2003.

I bought a "re-pack" drum controller from zzounds.com and it had a defective pad. Since "re-pack" was advertised to be in good working order, they took it back. No questions asked. They didn't have any more "re-packs" so I got a new one.

Make sure you are getting it from a reputable dealer with a satisfaction guarantee.

Insights and incites by Notes

my lefty 00 usa burst strat was a blem i got for like 650 or 699 instead of 950.... scuff under the clear about 3/4s od an inch near the middle pick up on the bass side...and some of the dot markers have hazing on the clear on the the maple i actully like the scuff... and with the money i saved, i bought 3 laces and had them put in....i love blems!!!!! its gonna get something wrong AT SOME POINT..

Archived