Gibson Brands Forums

guitardaterproject.org

bmoyer

Am I late to the game or has anyone else noticed this domain is now a parked domain? Can anyone else offer up a site for Fender serials? Yeah, I know this is an Epiphone forum and yes I own a couple. What can I say? You're a nice bunch of people so I thought of you first! The official Fender site is at odds with what I thought was the year for my vintgage Strat. Confusing...

Am I late to the game or has anyone else noticed this domain is now a parked domain? Can anyone else offer up a site for Fender serials? Yeah' date=' I know this is an Epiphone forum and yes I own a couple. What can I say? You're a nice bunch of people so I thought of you first! The official Fender site is at odds with what I thought was the year for my vintgage Strat. Confusing...[/quote']

I'm no Daneman or Mr. Greg or any body cool like that but I know my way 'round a serial number or two and I'm pretty familiar with Fender so if the Dane Meister can't do his magic I'll have a go at it. What's the number?

...and Al's your uncle.

Hey bmoyer,

Forum member and killer guitar collector jerrymac was kind enough to help me with this yesterday:

Check it out hope this helps you...

Here's the factories:

DW = DaeWon (China)

EA = Gibson/QuingDao (China) Acoustics

EE = Gibson/QuingDao (China) Electrics

I = Saein (Korea)

MC = Muse (China)

R = Peerless (Korea)

S = Samick (Korea)

SJ = SaeJung (China)

U = Unsung (Korea)

B stands for Bohêmia Musico-Delicia (Czech Republic)

F = Fine Guitars Plant' date=' Korea

The first 2 numbers are the year, next 2 numbers will be the month (01 - 12), last four production run. So R97091234 was made at the Peerless factory in September 1997.

Sometimes, the year might be just the first digit so S9114321 would be Samick November 1999.

[/quote']

Hey Uncle Al, I have a question and you might have some input,

I have an old tube amp,100 watt carvin from 1976.

At any volume level above 2, I can hear a buzz/rattle sound when I play higher frequencies.

I've tightened down the speaker bolts, and I've heard that tubes can rattle,they hang upside down,and move a little.

But I suppose that could be to accoustically isolate them from the chassis.

I've also heard that output transformers can introduce undesirable buzzing if the material they're potted with shrinks and allows the transformer coils to move.

My tubes all glow orange,but they may be factory for all I know.

Another thought that had crossed my mind,these speakers have huge square magnets,no brand name,just a number.

could they be Bass speakers?

Would that cause this problem?

Thanks for any thoughts you might have!

Or for that matter if anyone has ideas...

Thanks

Hey Uncle Al' date=' I have a question and you might have some input,

I have an old tube amp,100 watt carvin from 1976.

At any volume level above 2, I can hear a buzz/rattle sound when I play higher frequencies.

I've tightened down the speaker bolts, and I've heard that tubes can rattle,they hang upside down,and move a little.

But I suppose that could be to accoustically isolate them from the chassis.

I've also heard that output transformers can introduce undesirable buzzing if the material they're potted with shrinks and allows the transformer coils to move.

My tubes all glow orange,but they may be factory for all I know.

Another thought that had crossed my mind,these speakers have huge square magnets,no brand name,just a number.

could they be Bass speakers?

Would that cause this problem?

Thanks for any thoughts you might have!

Or for that matter if anyone has ideas...

Thanks[/quote']

To be honest with you I only know enough about working on amps to make the guys who work on mine a lot more money after I try to to fix them myself. My first thought is a microphonic preamp tube which can produce all kinds of artifact sounds. There's also the possibility of bad filter caps which is usually more of a hissing sound but I have an old Super Reverb that buzzes and pops and rattles because of its bad filter caps. You can also check how tightly the tube sockets are holding the tubes-there shouldn't be any wiggle but those are easy to re-tension-I don't think it's a speaker issue but not actually hearing the problem I can't say that for certain. You might post this over in the amp section-lots of guys there seem to know their stuff and can help you much more than I can-there's this thing called Occam's Razor which basically says-all things being equal the simplest solution is usually the best solution to any problem-I've always taken this to mean start with the simplest solution to the problem and work your way up-in this case-do a tube swap- if that checks out then try different speakers-and then progress to the more complex problems and issues like the caps and trannies. The voltage that exists in a tube amp has killed as many people as "Ol Sparky" down at the Florida State Pen so exercise extreme caution when dinking around inside those boys-even unplugged there's enough residual voltages in the caps to kill a rhino so they must be drained before messing around. Good luck and sorry I couldn't be more help.

...and Al's your uncle.

I'm no Daneman or Mr. Greg or any body cool like that but I know my way 'round a serial number or two and I'm pretty familiar with Fender so if the Dane Meister can't do his magic I'll have a go at it. What's the number?

...and Al's your uncle.

Ahhhhh, Mr. Greg. I've always felt that he was never too far away. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find him lurking around here under a different name :-

I, for one, would welcome back both Mr. Greg & Heliman with glee. I know they got on a lot of people's nerves but say what you will, both those guys knew a heckuva lot about guitars & I appreciated the knowledge I acquired from them.

And, I am ashamed to say I have forgotten the name of the forum member who created the guitardater project. A lot of us have used it & I certainly appreciated the effort he put into it. Does anybody remember his name? At any rate, he gets my praise.

I' date=' for one, would welcome back both Mr. Greg & Heliman with glee. I know they got on a lot of people's nerves but say what you will, both those guys knew a heckuva lot about guitars & I appreciated the knowledge I acquired from them.

And, I am ashamed to say I have forgotten the name of the forum member who created the guitardater project. A lot of us have used it & I certainly appreciated the effort he put into it. Does anybody remember his name? At any rate, he gets my praise. [/quote']

It was Joe_Pass_Wannabe

I' date=' for one, would welcome back both Mr. Greg & Heliman with glee. I know they got on a lot of people's nerves but say what you will, both those guys knew a heckuva lot about guitars & I appreciated the knowledge I acquired from them.

And, I am ashamed to say I have forgotten the name of the forum member who created the guitardater project. A lot of us have used it & I certainly appreciated the effort he put into it. Does anybody remember his name? At any rate, he gets my praise. [/quote']

Those two had a lot going on but so did Guild, Tad Mura, Bob Skippy, Question Mark, Harry Houdini, Tommy K and a lot of others whose names are escaping me at the moment... That was a knowledgeable group of people. I don't care what anyone says about the new and improved. Had it not been for those people in their time, this place wouldn't be anything now.

...and Al's your uncle

Ahhhhh' date=' Mr. Greg. I've always felt that he was never too far away. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find him lurking around here under a different name O:) [/quote']

One could hope... but alas, I fear he may belong to the ages. The last I knew he was being held in a re-education facility somewhere in the Tennessee Gulag by those in league with the Evil Gibson Empire. When they disappear someone they don't play around. Perhaps as you gaze into the night sky you shall ponder upon a distant star and consider his contributions and brave spirit and the sacrifices he gave so self-lessly (is that even a word?) so that other shall know the truth and know that he may very well be gazing back...not bloody likely but it's a nice thought.

..and Al's your uncle.

Archived