Gibson Brands Forums

I know this is the Epiphone forum....

Svet

but this is home! My question is regarding the Gibson R8 and R9 guitars. Why is the R9 so much more expensive? Is there more than just the flamed top that differentiates the two? My local guy is selling the R8 for 2500 and the R9 for 4200.

Svet

R9's supposed to be the R.I. of the 1959 Les Paul the..."holy grail" of Les Pauls, I'm thinkin' new price is dictated by the ridiculous amounts of money collectors pay for the real deal in any shape, I saw what was supposed to be a '59 on the 'bay, the guy started bidding at something like 50,000 dollars...for a guitar...maybe if Pete Green used it, and it was pretty beat up, most of the metal was corroded, the pickups looked like hell...for 50 grand? I'm thinking not. But the R9's are real nice guitars, sound great out of any amp, and their made at the "custom shop", which I imagine dictates price too.

Well, they also charge more too because everything is "period correct", gently aged, you know the drill. And I believe, and I may be wrong, everything they do in the custom shop is by hand, and they gotta eat too, My guy charges 40 bucks an hour to do any kind of work on a guitar (except me, I'm family =) ), so I think that's across the board for anyplace.

Archived