Gibson Brands Forums

Epi LP or what?

JEPI

I have an Epi LP that I've had for about 10 years. It plays like majic and when matched to a friends Gibson '59 reissue, it's very close in sound, neck and playability. BUT, no serial # on headstock, the pots are 500's and the only number is located in the bridge pup cavity; a 6 or 9 depending on how you look at it. NOTE: The headstock was glued onto the neck at the factory only detected by a slight color variation. Does anyone have any idea as to when or where it was made??? Please advise.

Epiguts003.jpg

Epiguts014.jpg

Epiguts016.jpg

EpiphoneLesPaul012.jpg

Epiguts010.jpg

Your guitar looks like one of the early Epiphone Les Pauls to me. Probably made around 1990 or 1991 in Korea. They didn't use the "open book" style headstock for very long. I believe that all of the Korean Epi Les Pauls have a scarf joint (headstock glued onto the neck).

Nice looking guitar.

EpiEric - Thanks for your reply. I guess it really doesn't matter when and where it was made, but when you have a special guitar like this, curiosity takes over. I've had several Gibby LP's that I traded or sold over the years, but honestly none had the "character" to match this one and it'll stay in my collection..... J

nice Epi LP!!! looks like similar to the '91 I just recently picked up... except mine has the more common Epi profile headstock... you have a real beauty there!!! Nice flame!!! Hard to tell but also looks like you have a long tenon neck! - Could be why it plays so nice!

Slight difference is my bridge is on with the adjuster screws towards the tailpiece.

But I have the same hex-style toggle switch nut that you have. And also have the thicker style pickup rings, which are nice. And I'm not sure at all, but looks like mine might have a bone nut rather than plastic... it's very hard, doesn't look like it was 'molded' (very different look/feel that new Epis with obvious plastic nut)... and I haven't taken my pickups off yet (will be soon when I swap them for SD 59's) - but I hope it's a long tenon also.... (cross my fingers)....

You got a real keeper there. I wish I had that headstock shape. A bit of a bummer that you can't find the S/N - but if like mine, it might have been on a sticker that was taken off at some point. That's one thing that makes me nervous on mine, but I certainly won't be peeling the sticker off. If anything, I might try and get a S/N stamped somewhere inconspicuous... just in case...

Here's my made in Korea '91 LP (S/N back of headstock (on a sticker) is 11006xx, while the "Made in Korea" is silkscreened in silver paint):

2232234270_97c51d7ecb.jpg2232256674_2d841086e4.jpg

2232234254_0ee87c56a1.jpg

cheerse

Archived