Gibson Brands Forums

Best Deal

garyelcrrt1281733995

Trying to counter-act the sudden onset of depression from reading all those "I sold the best guitar I ever had" stories -- so...

What's the best guitar you ever got in trade or bought after selling a guitar you didn't like?

I traded an Ibanez AF105F that I played about 2 or 3 times a year for a set neck Telecaster with SD '59 neck and JB bridge. I should put it in the shop for a tuneup - I do minor adjustments myself, but I like to put my favorites into a good tech's hands every other year or so, to give me a level plane to work from - but I don't want to turn loose of it long enough, so the paint scuff on the horn still bothers me, there's a bit too much relief, etc. etc. Its probably my favorite humbucker guitar.

Tele002.jpg

I did'nt sell or trade anything I just got lucky. About 6 months ago my starving rock star nephew decided he needed another PRS, so he borrowed the money from his mom (my sister) he was slow in paying up so she offered it to me. I never really thought about a PRS but I said I would look at it. My nephew never liked this one, he bought it on e-bay and it is in mint condition,except some genius changed the neck pup and wired it wrong. She ofered it to me for $500 I tried to tell her it was worth more than that, but she wanted me to have it. What else could I do but say yes! I got the correct pup in it and I now have a PRS McCarty for a little over $600. This is almost as finding one in the bushes! WooHoo I love my sister.

One of the first good guitars I ever had was an Ovation Decon or Preacher (don't remember which) that I sold when a girl I went to school with purred at me, "Ooh...Keith Partidge plays one of those!" Anybody else remember when crap like that mattered to you?!!? LOL!!!

Anyway, a few months later, I bought an all rosewood Tele I played for 16 years. Probably about as heavy as a Les Paul, but the weight issue aside, just a really outstanding instrument. I literally played the finish off of it. I never considered what it might've been worth someday (IIRC I paid $425 for it in early '75) since it was a working-man's guitar. It was pretty dog-earred by the time I sold it, but looking back, just for the sentimental value of everything it'd been through with me, I wish I'd kept it. So I guess this one fits on both lists...

Traded a Squier Venus I hadn't played in years and a 4x10 bass cab (along with a little cash) for a Hagstrom Viking. Still getting acquainted with the Hag proper, but I'm absolutely in love with it so far.

Also, this doesn't quite fit the topic, more of a diamond in the rough, but I bought a Brownsville (Sam Ash house brand) Les Paul copy for $180, and I have yet to find an import Paul copy that plays better. Pickups are a little hot for what I had in mind, and it certainly has its quirks, but for what I paid it's unbelievable.

Gary, I've got 3 of those Special Edition Teles with the carved top, set neck, and humbuckers. Man, they are extremely sweet. One of them was an MF special deal that had DiMarzio's (Tone Zone & Air Norton) on it, the other two have the SD Pearly Gates & 59.

They have put my sgs back in the closet. The teles, to me, outdo the sgs at their own game. Man, I love those thin necks (thinner than any Iby I've ever played). Can't believe that guitar isn't more popular than it is but attribute it to the fact that a)most 'Fender People' don't want humbucker guitars and B) those folks looking for humbucker guitars don't tend to look to Fender for them.

They are really fantastic guitars, though, and I'll never sell any one of them.

I didn't respond to the first topic and this is a bit off of the mark and may seem "VERY QUESTIONABLE" to many of you but here goes. First, in '75, I traded a flawless Gibson ES335 12 string AND a beautiful white Fender Strat to a guitar maker/luthier located in Riverside, CA in order to have a custom made Strat built to my specifications. BUT, what I got and still have is a birdseye maple beauty that is still one of my favorites. Second, in '93 I traded a Gibson LP Deluxe to a luthier in Napa, CA in order to have my first guitar, a nylon spainish style that I paid $5.00 for, to be again, set up to my specs. This included fixing a crack on the top, new bridge/saddle with pickup, a custom made 5 ply case and then another custom case made for my '67 Gibson ES175. What I got is still my favorite and cherished guitar. Third, the aforementioned ES175 was reluctantly sold in '98 for $1200.00 because I never played it and desperately needed to pay bills SICK!!!! There are several more stories but I'll end with this one. In 1969 I was playing a Fender Tele and an Electric Hollow Body Martin. In a friends closet in a soft shell case was '61 or '62 Gibson SG, complete with Vibrato bar. Yeah it was the Angus style SG. I paid him $50.00 for it. With the Vibrato bar set up, which I believe to be a Gibson Maestro, not allowing me to keep it in tune, ignorantly I had changed it to a stud tailpiece. I played it for a couple of years and put it back in the case when I bought the aforementioned white Strat. The SG sat in the case for 10 years or so and the guy that I paid the $50.00 to asked me if I'd sell it back to him. Figuring he couldn't come up with the money, I said, sure for $500.00. Oops, he pulled the $500.00 out of his pocket and "the beauty" was gone. Two months later, it was stolen out of his van. Sure wish I had that one back, I wonder who's got it.........J

Archived