Gibson Brands Forums

Alpha or CTS?

wwpete521281734008

I'm going to change out the pots in my Dot. I've used CTS pots many times but Alpha pots are 1/3 the price. I know that old saying "you pay for what you get" but I just thought I'd see if anyone has used Alpha pots and if so how do they compare to the CTS pots? Thanks!

Hey Pete' date='

My rule of thumb is to use Alpha pots on imports. You don't need to get new knobs, enlarge the holes, and they seem to work just fine. I think the construction is better on the CTS, they seem really heavy duty.

BTW, did you caucas yesterday???

[center']

pots.jpg

[/center]

I can't make longevity claims but I've found both to be best choice pots

CGE has some that are ok.. but they lack the firm solid feel of the CTS and alpha pots.

I use both in guitars, alphas in my amp.

Had a GF who built pots so I can promise you nothing lasts forever. *s* but I believe Nick's experience!

TWANG

As a side note the CTS pots are closer to the correct values ie 250k 300k 500k. Pots can have a + or - 20% error and still be considered correct so if you get a lower value pot the tone will be different. Most of my experience is with the 250k range pots.

I have taken most of the brands apart to look at construction and for modification purposes. There is a world of difference in the construction of pots. The CTS pots are built to last.

Here is a link to understanding pot construction.

http://www.lespaulforum.com/pots/potents.html

Im my experience Alpha pots are functionally just as good as CTS.

Really fussy folks might want to measure either before using them.

If you want to use CTS pots on account of their superior reputation then fine...and for the sake of correctness they should be used in the majority of USA built instruments.

That said, Alpha pots are the "correct" item for use in majority of decent quality "offshore" guitars...and you won't be mucking about enlarging holes and buying new knobs because the old ones don't fit properly.

If common sense got a bigger look in sometimes...rather than pointless blind allegiance to certain products...folks would find life a lot easier O:)

FWIW there's little functionally wrong with most of the pots used in even the cheapest guitar production...until they get full of of all the crap and finishing compound that's often left floating around in the control cavity !

As folks have alluded to above, any audible difference between pots will be down to variance in the value and the typical 20% production tolerances.

[That variation can actually come in quite handy when looking for a sound that's ust a gnat's livlier or a smidge darker. Certain after market wiring "upgrade" kits purposely select high value [say 530 for 500K] pots to ensure a "detailed "and sharp sound.]

You will very occasionally find on changing a pot that the wide open sound is much improved and more open.

Chances are that the original pot in this case was faulty and didn't fully open. Not an issue you'll normally encounter with either CTS ot Alpha replacements.

Archived