Gibson Brands Forums

Curious about the Epiphone Explorers....

Biff Velvet

Ive always wanted a explorer since I was a little kid, and I my first guitar is a Epiphone that im pretty happy with.

So before jumping directly to a Gibson Explorer, I was wondering if anyone had any personal experiences with the Epi version versus the Gibson ones.

First post! Yessssss

I have an '04 Epi Goth Explorer,Its a pretty well made guitar.I don't have a Gibson Explorer,but I do have 2 gibby flying Vs,the neck and action is very similar.The epi pickups aren't as good as the ones in the Gibsons,But I think its a very good guitar for the price you pay. Mine feels really good to play.And looks sinister.

DCFC0010.jpg

Sorry the pic is kinda flipped,forgot to change it.

Hmmmm.

I've always thought they should make a reverse explorer.

As a limmited ed or a guitar of the week.

Yeah those reverse Vs apparently have sold well! Maybe a reverse explorer would catch people's eyes as well.

Indeed, the goth explorer is a very sinister looking guitar. Its nice to hear good things about the Epi explorers, I'll try one

out before aiming for the gibson.

Btw, the flying v's are very attractive guitars. Money permitting, id love to get my hands on one!

Nice pick up. Was that issued with the mirror pickguard? 600 bucks is a nice price too, considering I was oogling a standard black V at a local shop

a little while ago going for around 1100. The white ones about my parts go for around 1250 too. Again, nice V. This thread seems to becoming a daneman picture showcase lol. Keep the pics comin'.

The white one's pretty much stock except the previous owner had installed a set of planet waves trim lok tuners on her, you put the string thu the hole,lock it,tune up and the machine head trims off the excess.

85v4.jpg

85gibsonv.jpg

DCFC0013.jpg

The red flying V I bought for $100. '85 gibson. A buddy had it in his closet for years,it had a repaired headstock and no tuners.

It had been broken into multiple pieces.His Gibson Explorer was stolen,and somebody gave him this one in the condition I bought it. I decided to take a chance on it.I bought some Grovers from MF and strung her up.

Holds tune better than almost any guitar I own. Dirty fingers pickups,Kahler flyer bridge.All factory.

need some nut inserts,and a bar to be able to use the trem.

I dont find the reverse V to be that attractive, but I have heard stories of it selling well...maybe people are looking to find some collectable value out of what is a very...different...guitar. Kinda makes you think, whose idea was it to reverse a V before reversing the explorer? I guess Gibson wanted something that looked reallllllll different.

Archived