Gibson Brands Forums

thinking of buying a 1956 goldtop

pedrozepelim

I'm thinking of buying a 1956 goldtop.

I know that epiphone is a mess: you got guitars coming from Korea (samick factory and cort factory) and now you got them made in China. I know all about the alder/mahogony body problem.

so, based on your experience, what's the best epiphone (and I'm on a budget here, so no elitist please) I can buy? What should I look for? Should I by a Samick one or a Cort one? Any tips would be great.

Thanks!

The '56 GoldTop is a great choice. I have one that's flat-out terrific. One of the cool things about this model, is that (if you ever wanted to go to humbuckers) the P-90 pickup rout will also accommodate a mini-humbucker. So, you've got tons of versatility with this guitar. Mine was made in Korea, but the newer production I've seen in the stores looks every bit as good, and ships with the (better) Grover tuners that mine didn't have. I bought mine at MF, sight unseen, which

I rarely do, but I've been very pleased with it. In fact, they've come down in price since I bought mine. Good choice.

Got my epi goldtop with P90's from MF about a month ago. Great guitar! I also have a gibson es 135 and a fender american strat. The goldtop has every bit the sound and finish as my these toys. If you decide on the P90's make sure there are no cracks in the pickups in line with the screws. I had both covers cracked and got a $75 adjustment from MF.

Out of curiosity, how is it that you see Epiphone as a "mess"? Because their production facilities have changed over the years? ****, Fender's built guitars in California, Mexico, Japan, China & Indonesia. Are they a "mess" too?

And since you already know about the "alder/mahogany body problem", I suggest you don't take any chances. Go blow your money on that mystery-meat Vintage. Lemme know how that works out for ya...

Out of curiosity' date=' how is it that you see Epiphone as a "mess"? Because their production facilities have changed over the years? ****, Fender's built guitars in California, Mexico, Japan, China & Indonesia. Are they a "mess" too?

And since you already know about the "alder/mahogany body problem", I suggest you don't take any chances. Go blow your money on that mystery-meat Vintage. Lemme know how [b']that [/b]works out for ya...

I can tell you one thing: I had an epi les paul standart a few years a go. Sold it, and bought a Tokai (also a mistery guitar to me) and let me tell you the diference is night and day. For the same amount of money I got a much, much better guitar: better built, better tone, great looks, better sustain. So there's no need to get mad. I understand: you're standing by what you got, and you got an Epiphone. No worries! :)

but you must admit that a brand that makes copies of classical instruments, and is proud to use the "by Gibson" expression, is building guitars that aren't real copies, and are not a step above of the guitars that are being copied. In fact they are a step back, everytime you make an alder les paul!

I bought my Gold Top about three months ago and couldn't be happier. I currently have four Epi's and have had absolutely no problems with any of them.

I bought each one of them from the same shop. I went in, played each one of the through amps that I currently played through and based my decision on playability, sound, and yes coolness.

Epiphone is a Gibson product. I think Gibson is realizing what they have got and are really putting an effrot into improving the quality of the instruments.

I also am a Fender owner (Strat x2 and a 65 Tele original, not reissue).

A good picker can make a not so good guitar sound good. Unfortunately the reverse is not true.

I can tell you one thing: I had an epi les paul standart a few years a go. Sold it' date=' and bought a Tokai (also a mistery guitar to me) and let me tell you the diference is night and day. For the same amount of money I got a much, much better guitar: better built, better tone, great looks, better sustain. So there's no need to get mad. I understand: you're standing by what you got, and you got an Epiphone. No worries! :)

but you must admit that a brand that makes copies of classical instruments, and is proud to use the "by Gibson" expression, is building guitars that aren't real copies, and are not a step above of the guitars that are being copied. In fact they are a step back, everytime you make an alder les paul![/quote']

It's not a matter of standing by what I've got. I've been playing for 35 years and over the years have had Gibsons, Fenders, Ibanezes, Tokais, Epiphones, Ovations, a Hofner and a host of garbage guitars before my skills warranted spending the cash on a "real" guitar.

I don't need to be educated that a copy is not a step above the guitar being copied. It's a given that an Epiphone will never be a Gibson, and that's not the intent to begin with. The Epiphone "version" of the Les Paul is meant to be a good quality guitar at a price point that won't break the bank. Do you really think you're going to lay your hands on a guitar that's the eqivelent of or better than a Gibson for 500 bucks?

Does that make the Epiphone a problem? Not as long as you're aware you're NOT getting a Gibson for that kind of scratch. So it's alder. So what? Does it sound good? Does it feel right in your hands? If so, go for it. If not, don't buy it. But don't make it sound like Epiphone's cheating you. You get what you pay for.

Well....I played a Joe Pass today, at GC, that had a "Made in Indonesia" tag on it. I didn't know Epiphone was making guitars in Indonesia, but this box was flat-out great. The finish work impeccable, the action, terrific and it sounded as good un-plugged as plugged. It doesn't matter to me where a guitar is made. I drive a Swedish car (Saab), owned by GM, that has tons of parts in it

from all over the globe. As a Product Manager a good part of my career, I've come to view the "global" market as a good thing. It enables manufacturers to make their products where the balance of cost-to-quality are the best. So long as the quality standards are well defined and met,

it doesn't matter if a guitar is made on the moon. My favorite Fenders are from Mexico, my 30 year-old Yamaha acoustic was made in Taiwan (and rivals any Martin I've played), my '56 GoldTop from Korea and my '70 Telecaster was made somewhere in California. And the California-made guitar is probably not made nearly as well the Indonesian guitar I played today. They're all my favorites though, or they'd be in somebody else's closet by now.

About a year ago I was given a Squier Tele Custom with HB's. It doesn't sound much like a Tele but it too was "Crafted in Indonesia" and even though it's a simple solid body, the playability is incredible and the craftsmanship is far above average..........J

Archived