Gibson Brands Forums

Dot Mounting Ring Replacement

Ron G

Hello Ron,

I am going on the presumption that your dot is am Epi. I just replaced the mounting rings on my epi paul and yours might be the same. I said MIGHT. I do not have a dot so I do not know for sure. I checked Gibson rings and found them to be too small on the outside dementions ( I did not want to see marks from the old rings ). Also, the screw centers were not the same. After a legnthy search I found a close to perfect fit from a very reputable dealer on Ebay. His store name is bezdez. If you go to his Ebay store and type "pickup mounting ring" in his search box you will see a fine assortment of rings including black curved. Their dementions are : 3 5/8 x 1 13/16 x 5/16. Inside dementions are 2 3/4 x 1 1/2. Although he does not say so, they are tapered from front to back. The screw holes were a perfect match for the ones I replaced on my paul. As Gary pointed out no two archtops are exactly the same. The curve was only slightly off on mine but not even enough to warrent filing. I carefully tightened the screws and they pulled the ring to the body for a perfect fit. Sometimes, heating them ahead of time with a hair dryer can help. I didn't have to. The catch to all this is that he is in Canada. Although the rings are very reasonable (only $2.00) the shipping is $4.00 for standard mail (2 weeks) or $9.00 for express. I got mine in 4 days. He will also combine orders. I bought several things from him at once and only paid one shipping fee. Hope this is of some help. If not good luck in your search. Let everyone know if you find a better source. We can only try to help but we always care.

Archived