Gibson Brands Forums

Need Help Identifying an Epiphone by Gibson guitar

jco

What's to identify? It's just a YASK: Yet Another Strat Knockoff. Probably went under some model name such as FAT-210 or something equally innocuous. However "Epiphone Strat Knockoff" is close enough for any purpose of identification; everyone will know what you're talking about.

Any comments or info would be great. Thanks in advance' date=' JCO[/quote']

I can't give you exact info, but I think I can narrow it down a bit for you. It looks like a S-600:

Epiphone%20S-600%20Custom%20black%201988.jpg

The main difference I see is the 5-way switch rather than the 3 mini toggles and the pickups. I know the S-600 were available in 1986, which would coincide with the by Gibson on the headstock. They stopped using by Gibson by 1989. So here's my take, your guitar was made mid to late '80s in Korea. Possibly a S-600 or an S-500.

The serial # won't help, Epis of that era have no rhyme or reason. But the serial # on the sticker is also typical of the late '80s.

Sorry I can't be more exact.

I just did that and it came up 1971' date=' Made in Korea. The Korea part I can understand but can it really

be that old? The switches make it seem newer.[/quote']

No, they didn't start making Korean Epis until the 1980s. That's why I said the guitar dater won't help, there's little rhyme or reason to Epi serial # in the '70s & '80s.

What's to identify? It's just a YASK: Yet Another Strat Knockoff. Probably went under some model name such as FAT-210 or something equally innocuous. However "Epiphone Strat Knockoff" is close enough for any purpose of identification; everyone will know what you're talking about.

Its not a strat knockoff, becuase I have seen epiphones that look just like strats. This is similar to but NOT a strat copy, no pickguard, different switch setups, HB pickup on the bridge, etc.

Archived