Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II

Vic Flick

Here she is:

l_52eb55dc46f410ba77beae8ed7dd25bf.jpg

It's a Unsung (Korea) October 2007.

First impressions:

1) Wasn't set up very well, but after lowering the bridge and a slight tightening of the truss rod it played really good. Low action, no buzzing. No sharp fret edges.

2) The neck is advertised a slim taper, but I'd call it a 'tweener. 1 11/16" wide at the nut, nicely cut nut (not a typical plastic nut).

3) Did not have the new locking tailpiece.

4) The Shadow Nano pickup sounds fantastic. The humbuckers alone are OK, not great, but blend them with the Shadow and it sings. The possibilities are endless. And I haven't even tried the stereo yet!!!

5) I don't see any flaws in the finish. The only minus is that the plastic cover on the shadow pickup is not perfectly level. and there's a scratch on the neck binding by the shadow.

Congratulations!!! Looks really nice!

Hey Jerry I was wondering about those little knobs in the back. Do they get in the way at all?

Not at all. They're small and recessed. Bass, treble & gain, it's like set 'em and forget 'em. The normal bridge pickup tone control is actually a volume for the Shadow, so the 4 knobs are actually 3 volumes and a master tone for the humbuckers.

Nice guitar. You say you haven't tried the stereo yet. I have an '81 Ovation Electric Legend that is stereo but could never get used to it or better put really didn't know how to use it effectively. How are you going to amplify yours?..J

Veeerrry Nice' date=' J-Mac! I usually don't like trans black, but that axe looks elegant!

[/quote']

I have to agree with Lerxst. Not a big fan of the trans black, but that does look nice. There's something about a quilt top that makes me smile. Now if they would just make them with silver instead of gold hardware, I'd be next in line.

I have to agree with Lerxst. Not a big fan of the trans black' date=' but that does look nice. There's something about a quilt top that makes me smile. Now if they would just make them with silver instead of gold hardware, I'd be next in line.[/quote']

I think the gold hardware is what lends to the "tuxedo" look of it... But you can always swap out the hardware for nicklel... Or chrome, if you prefer...

Hybrid, it is two piece book matched top. Good job lining it up.

Twang & SexyGibson, AMS matched the $599 from Music123. I got the black one because it was cheaper, I really had no preference. But now that I see it in person, I'm glad I got the black.

Long Beach, I love the thrill of opening of the box on new guitar day. It's like adult Christmas. But the waiting is the hardest part, every day get one guitar...

Thanks everyone!!!

I ordered my Ultra II from MF at the end of January. Unfortunately, they sent me the wrong guitar (an ESP Viper 100) and I had to do the whole RA thing. A new one is on the way and will hopefully be here by the weekend. Just have to hope that MF sent the right guitar this time. Fortunately, I got the faded cherry at the same price they are selling the black one for ($599). Must say that yours looks great, better than I imagined.

I just live down the road from you. We ought to get together sometimes.

Archived