Gibson Brands Forums

When did they....

Svet

start making artist signature series guitars? Without stating the obvious "Les Paul" who and what was the first signature series guitar akin to the Slash LP, SRV strat et al? I'm curious because on a recent search for Gibson LP deluxe on the Bay I came across a 1985 Pete Townsend model. This got me thinking as my first recollection was the SRV and Clapton strats. I bought the SRV thinking it was going to be a rare item but soon learned they were being produced out the ear. I sold it off as I never grew to like anything about it. That was the only guitar I've ever hated! Go figure as SRV is on of my all time favorites

I suppose it depends how you classify an "artist" model , "tribute" model, "signature" model...whatever you want to call it.

Makers have always been keen to use popular artists as marketing tools and artists in turn have enjoyed the privelage of having the best makers provide them with free/cheap instruments, built to their tastes.

The first Gibson J200 of the late thirties sprung from the instrument they built for Ray Whitely.

I'm sure there are plenty of other early examples too. How many different guitars has Chet Atkins' name appeared on down the years ?

These days of course it's turned into something of a racket in many areas of the market. Most of the "signature" models in the catalogues are little more than normal production instruments with somebody's name scrawled on them with various degrees of subtlety and taste. [or lack of ! ]

Some are very expensive Custom Shop instruments of very high quality. Complete with signed certificates and goodness knows what...but still essentially bog standard vintage RIs aimed at collectors and rich "baby boomers".

Others are budget creations aimed at the young fans of whoever is popular on the street this week !

There are also signature models with a little more real credibility. The Fender EC Strat is probabaly as good an example as any. It offers a range of functional features which were specced to the artist's requirement, but which also make it attractive to players in its own right...regardless of Erics's moniker on the headstock.

The bottom line is that if the concept sells guitars...they'll make them. For better or worse

start making artist signature series guitars? Without stating the obvious "Les Paul" who and what was the first signature series guitar akin to the Slash LP' date=' SRV strat et al? I'm curious because on a recent search for Gibson LP deluxe on the Bay I came across a 1985 Pete Townsend model. This got me thinking as my first recollection was the SRV and Clapton strats. I bought the SRV thinking it was going to be a rare item but soon learned they were being produced out the ear. I sold it off as I never grew to like anything about it. That was the only guitar I've ever hated! Go figure as SRV is on of my all time favorites[/quote']

I assume you're not talking about the jazz greats and their big jazz boxes, there were lots of them. Of course there was Gretsch with the Chet Atkins models, but I would say the Trini Lopez standard was Gibson's first successful artist model aimed at the rock market (not counting the LP & SG).

Trini played a Barney Kessel, and the Trini Lopez Deluxe was basically a BK with a Fender style headstock and diamond shaped f-holes. But Gibson felt that they needed a "rock and roll" model that would appeal to rock guitarists. Based on the ES-335, the Trini Lopez Standard was Gibson's best selling artist model in the 1960s.

TLs_2.jpg

Trini Lopez Standard

Trini%20Lopez%20Deluxe.jpg

Trini Lopez Deluxe

Both models were made 1964 - 1971.

Archived