Gibson Brands Forums

Prophecy - in your future?

wedgeSG

So what is the group consensus on the new Prophecy Models? I'm still on the fence about 'em. Anxious to see a few in person. I'm not a big fan of quilts but these seem a little more subdued than most. I guess these are aimed at the folks that wanted a flame top with a pickup and additional features option(s)? I'm not about to preorder one but is anybody just salivating over these yet? I doubt the photos are doing them justice but after seeing an Amber flame top G-400 or two I wonder. Far as it goes, can anybody relay any past experiences with EMG actives in an Epi LP and/or SG from a what to expect tone-wise perspective? Same question with the DirtyFingers option the line will include as a basis for compairson. I really don't recall any post previously that's weighed in on a Dirty Fingers pickup. With all the attention that's given to pickups here: hot, cold, sexually active, passive restrained, etc. seems like sombody would have surely given these a day in court by now. Anywho, my l'il stir of the pot for speculation on the latest offerings...to GAS or pass GAS on these: what's your thoughts?

Wedgie

Are they actually using active EMGs in the Prophecies or are they the High-Z versions? I know some of them will have Epi's new active pickups, but the price list doesn't say anything about active EMGs, and Epi typically has usually installed the non-active versions in their guitars... then again, the pickups in the press images just say "EMG" on them, unlike those on the ZW models which have "EMG-HZ" imprinted on them... so...

About the only guitar that I'm slowly starting to gas for these days is the Yamaha SG-1000. In black. No way I can afford one right now though.

I had an SG2000 for a while. I was always impressed by it , but never loved it.

A bit like the vibe I get from a PRS in slightly different way.

I quite like the EMG HZ passive pups though. They're Amongst the few hot buckers for sensible money with any real clarity. For me, once you start wanting really hot pickups, you have to ditch the classic PAF build formula.

The Active EMGs are just not my cuppa'.

I would love to try one out, but I wouldn't buy one simply due to appearance (yeah, I'm vain). Not a fan of the looks at all, but I love the idea of stock double coil-tapped dirty fingers pickups. Don't know why epi (and others) don't offer coil tapping as a stock feature or factory option more often.

I'm pretty anxious to get my SG Prophecy Ex, and each day that goes by just gets worse. My only issue is that I preordered mine when they were supposed to be release 1-25-08 (three weeks late on that release as of today). I called the dealer I bought it from, musiciansfriend, and they told me that their first shipment hasn't even arrived yet. And of course they can't even give me an estimated date that I might get my guitar, since it's up to Gibson/Epiphone to send them out. I emailed Gibson last Friday about this, just wondering if they had any idea when they were gonna send them out, and of course I got no response back (I feel just like one of those...what do you call them..."valued-customers"...sarcasm). Emailed them again today with the same question (a week after my first email)...emphasizing that I'd at least like a response, even if they can't give me a date yet. I don't appreciate having my question tossed aside like it didn't matter.

I really have my heart set on getting this guitar, but if I'm going to get zero respect from Gibson, I may just have to go with a different brand. I'd prefer one the the Prophecys, but if I have to I'll settle for a Dean.8-[

Archived