Gibson Brands Forums

Cream DiMarzio open coils in my LP Custom

5er driver

Hey 5er driver, those pups look really nice against the black. I bet they sound as good as they look. I'm actually thinking of getting the Dimarzio Air Norton and Tone zone for my Epi LP Standard. Did you get the standard sized pups or the "F" spacing? Dimarzio specs the F size for nut widths of 1 11/16 (43 mm) which equates to 1.695" and the Epi Lp is 1.68 which is just a hair short of 43mm. Just wondering what you got and how the poles line up with the strings.

Rocknroller - I got the standard sizes, not F spaced. The strings line up perfectly over the Air Classic Neck. However, the strings start walking over the Super Distortion at a rate of 0.5 mm per pole piece. I don't understand why.

E - perfect

A - 0.5mm to the right of center

D - 1.0mm """"""""""""""""""

G - 1.5mm """"""""""""""""""

B - 2.0mm """"""""""""""""""

E - 2.5mm """"""""""""""""""

To compensate I have the treble side of the pup raised 1 & 1/2 turns more on the height adjustment screw. The spacing doesn't look very professional but the tone doesn't suffer or I would have returned the bridge pup for something else.

V-Type - here's another bad pic: the git with cream pup rings, knobs, switch, & selector ring. Here the OEM pups still have their gold covers on. Afterwards I took the covers off to expose the black coils. Cream rings don't go with (my opinion only) black open coils. I put the black rings back on until I got the cream open coils.

Creamed1.jpg

Archived