Gibson Brands Forums

Good or fantastic. Ultra II

Vulpine Lad

Hi everyone, not owned an epiphone before but played a few and like em. Quite taken with the Ultra II idea featuring the nanomag and wondered what thoughts others had on this. I'm more of a rhythm man who loves acoustic as much as electric ( I have both electric and acoustic versions of the Line 6 700 Variax guitars but I'm looking for something more organic and this looks promising. Appreciate your views.

JerryMac just bought one... He can tell ya what's what with the Ultra II...

Yes' date=' he did. I have tried 4 or 5 hybrids, this is the one I've been looking for. The shadow pickup is fantastic, and the chambered body contributes nicely to the [i']acoustic[/i] tone. I like the fact that it's a real electric. Very versatile, you get tons of tones when you blend the Shadow with the humbuckers.

You know what I would really like to see??? The Shadow mounted in a Sheraton.

I dont like ultra2 because i played one that felt like and sounded like an acoustic on its standard pick-ups and i mean i have nothing against acoustics i own quite a few but an electric should at least feel like an electric because acoustics are set-up differently which makes them a little different to play so when a les paul misses that acoustic vibe and stays rich and beefy. i think ill live.

I dont like ultra2 because i played one that felt like and sounded like an acoustic on its standard pick-ups and i mean i have nothing against acoustics i own quite a few but an electric should at least feel like an electric because acoustics are set-up differently which makes them a little different to play so when a les paul misses that acoustic vibe and stays rich and beefy. i think ill live.

:-k

huhhh?

I tried one about 3 this afternoon and was sadly underwhelmed. Not a hell of a lot lighter than my Standard and though I was amped up about the nanomag & I've read plenty about the reconfigured controls, I just could NOT isolate any kind of acoustic tone and believe me, I tried everything. I thought maybe the nanomag had no juice, but when I fooled with the controls for it on the backplate, I was able to cut the volume, so it was working but to my ears, sounds absolutely NOTHING like a piezo and even less like an acoustic.

Maybe it was just this example (frankly, I hope so. I really want to like this guitar), but it was quite a letdown.

I was surprised to see that this particular unit was built by Unsung though. I thought all production had ceased in Korea when the Quingdao plant opened.

Not trying to be funny, but wasn't part of the point of the nanomag that it wasn't supposed to sound like a piezo?

I think one review I read stated that it wasn't really a hybrid guitar, but more of an attempt to bring out a fuller sound via the different pickup systems. That is an unexpected description, Flyingfrets. I am not encouraged. I haven' t tested it yet, but don't feel I am missing anyhing.

I tried one about 3 this afternoon and was sadly underwhelmed. Not a hell of a lot lighter than my Standard and though I was amped up about the nanomag & I've read plenty about the reconfigured controls' date=' I just could NOT isolate any kind of acoustic tone and believe me, I tried everything. I thought maybe the nanomag had no juice, but when I fooled with the controls for it on the backplate, I was able to cut the volume, so it was working but to my ears, sounds absolutely NOTHING like a piezo and even less like an acoustic.

Maybe it was just this example (frankly, I hope so. I really want to like this guitar), but it was quite a letdown.

I [b']was[/b] surprised to see that this particular unit was built by Unsung though. I thought all production had ceased in Korea when the Quingdao plant opened.

Did you turn down the volume controls for the humbuckers??? Unfortunately, the pickups are always on (unless you use the stereo jack), there should be a kill switch. And the tone control for the bridge pickup is actually a volume control for the Nano, so you have a volume for each pickup & only one master tone control.

I have yet to get an EE, the last two Epid I got were both Korean.

I just received my Ultra II today. I have owned both a Parker and a top-end Yamaha solidbody, both with piezo pickups. Neither gave a credible acoustic tone, both having that coarse piezo rasp and tinniness. The nanomag is a giant leap. It sounds acoustic even through a guitar amp but really is amazing into an acoustic amp or a PA. Of course, you have to turn off the humbuckers to get the purely acoustic sound, as jerrymac said. The acoustic output is also very quiet, with no hiss or hum.

I was somewhat wary of the satin neck but I think I will adjust quickly. It seems very fast and drag-free. I also like the lighter than normal weight and the belly carve. My only disappointment so far is that it doesn't have the locking bridge and tailpiece that were advertised. Maybe they weren't ready for the earliest production units.

Did you turn down the volume controls for the humbuckers??? Unfortunately' date=' the pickups are always on (unless you use the stereo jack), there should be a kill switch. And the tone control for the bridge pickup is actually a volume control for the Nano, so you have a volume for each pickup & only one master tone control.

I have yet to get an EE, the last two Epid I got were both Korean.[/quote']

Yeah Jerry, I did. Like I said, I tried everything I could think of. By your description of the control layout (which is exactly as I understood it to be), I isolated the nanomag pup, but it just sounded like a muddier version of the standard neck pup.

If you're getting anything resembling an acoustic sound from it, that at least gives me hope that the guitar I played today was just screwed up. They only had one, so I had nothing to compare it to.

I just received my Ultra II today. I have owned both a Parker and a top-end Yamaha solidbody' date=' both with piezo pickups. Neither gave a credible acoustic tone, both having that coarse piezo rasp and tinniness. The nanomag is a giant leap. It sounds acoustic even through a guitar amp but really is amazing into an acoustic amp or a PA. Of course, you have to turn off the humbuckers to get the purely acoustic sound, as jerrymac said. The acoustic output is also very quiet, with no hiss or hum.

I was somewhat wary of the satin neck but I think I will adjust quickly. It seems very fast and drag-free. I also like the lighter than normal weight and the belly carve. My only disappointment so far is that it doesn't have the locking bridge and tailpiece that were advertised. Maybe they weren't ready for the earliest production units. [/quote']

Hey, two Ultra IIs in the Valley!!! How cool is that???

Mine didn't have the locking TP either. Is yours a Korean like mine???

I love open chords with the Nano only, they chime. Blend in some 'bucker for solo work.

BTW, did you get my PM the other day??? If you want, shoot me an email jkmcleer@yahoo.com.

Yeah, I was encouraged when I read in reviews that the Nanomag didn't sound like a piezo... I've never thought they faithfully reproduced acoustic tone... If I want something that sounds like a piezo, I can come close with my Tele... But on a Tele, I don't mind that harsh tone... I don't want it from an acoustic! Yeash!

Hmm, not sure now. Think I was expecting more positive feedback. Maybe it just takes time to master the controls and find your tone?

I spend a lot of time experimenting with different sounds so it might be ok. I should probably concentrate on improving my playing rather than chasing tone! Whatever, they are selling em about half price at Thomann UK so I still might add it to my collection!! Thanks anyway, always good to find out what other players really think about products.

Archived