Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Studio Chameleon -- just a Studio, or different wood?

bluefoxicy

Different places list the Les Paul Studio and Chameleon models differently. I'm particularly looking at these two:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ENL1WCCH/ LP Studio

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ENL1BGCH/ LP Studio Chameleon

The Studio is listed as:

[*] Mahogany Neck

[*] Rosewood Fingerboard w/ Dot Markers

[*] Mahogany body

[*] Mahogany top

While the Chameleon doesn't list a top. Does anyone know if these are just cool painted studios, or if they don't have a top, or use a maple top? Epiphone.com doesn't say really...

I'm still looking at the standard, just because I like the trapezoid inlays instead of the dots; then again, the trapezoid inlays stand out like crazy and I'm not sure if I'd prefer the dots instead....

Are the pickups worth replacing with Super Distortion DiMarzios in these, or do they come with some high quality pickups (I did not like the ones in the Special II)?

Hello Blue.

Never seen a Studio with a maple top. Although Epiphone lists most of their guitars with mahogany bodies, I have done some reserch on the subject and it doesn't always seem to be the case. It seems the bodies are made in layers or plies. Alder along with mahogany are often used depending on availability of wood. The only thing I have found to bare me out is that I have found identical models at different weights. Sometimes as much as a pound or more. Not sure if it's a big deal. As far as the Standard goes, I just bought an "05" and I love it. The trapazoids are a matter of taste. When you are as old and blind as I am you need all the help you can get if you are playing in a dark setting. As for the pickups, I am sure there are many members here that will be able to help you out more than me. I am reserving my judgement on the originals untill I replace the pots and caps.

Nods. Mahogany body normally means mahogany and possibly a little alder when dealing with Epiphone, I've noticed. I noticed the normal studio has a Mahogany top, or so I've read; couldn't find if the Chameleon even has a top, much less if it's similarly Mahogany or if they use a Maple top. Epi uses Maple tops a lot on a bunch of their models, which is a good wood for a top (don't stock gibsons use maple tops too?); I just like to know exactly what I'm holding :P

I've read in places that the top on the Studio is maple instead... hmm. Some places or others are wrong, or different LP Studios have different constructions.

Archived