Gibson Brands Forums

Thinking about one of those Vox Valvetronix amps...

SoloTy

... and I was wondering to myself...

Which would be a better option?

I could either get the 50 watt 1x12 and buy a Marshall MC212 extension cab (which I have heard nothing but great things about...)

Orrr I could get the 50 watt 2x12 and have all the cool stereo effects and such...

The thing is, I play with a REALLY loud drummer... almost Bonham-esque... So i need something LOUD.

Which would be the better choice you think?

What style do I play, you ask?

Oh, mostly heavier blues, jazz, and I dabble in metal (not uber-death, cookie monster metal; more like Metallica's Black Album... that style.), I love to play EVH sort of stuff, and I am mostly biased towards humbuckers... I also play all things Neil Young, and Zeppelin/ Floyd/ The Who... Basically covering all the bases, there, and I've heard the Valvetronix series is amazing for that...

Anyways, any opinions are welcomed, as usual, and thank you all very kindly in advance...

Happy Strummin'

Ty

I just went through that dilema with a Vox AC15...

I say don't make your purchase based on how loud the other person in the band is' date='

make it on what you really want...

and then if your taking opinions, i'd go with a tube set up...

Jay[/quote']

Don't worry, I'm always taking opinions.. :-k

The thing is, though, I'm on a rather tight budget... And ive heard nothing but good things about these amps, so yeah...

A good tube amp would be next in line, though...

One day I might buy a Valve Junior head and cab... Cause those things sound beautiful :D

And about the loudness issue, being loud is part of what I want... And besides, you can change wattage on these amps, so I have pretty much all the bases covered there...

I think it would be cheaper to get a new drummer.

:-k

Very true... but my drummer happens to be one of my best friends... And he's also exTREMELY good and plays all the stlyes I'm into... he's pretty much a dream come true... besides the loudness factor...

Go for the marshall. I had the valvetronix 100 watt. IT SUCKED!

The only good part was the 4 x 12 cab. The 100 watt head was the worst sounding head I've ever heard. It was so bad i Traded it, and $ 400.00 for a 1998 jcm2000dsl. Best swap I ever did. I use the vox cab with the marshall head, and I'm very happy.

Even though I too like those valvetronix amps I'd have to agree with those that recommend a good tube amp instead. If you're buying new by the time you add the cost of the amp and Extension speakers your pretty much in the price range of a small tube amp..... like the HR Deluxe or something similar.

Either way, and just IMO, but I think you'll still get lost just using a 50 watt SS amp on its own with a loud drummer, or in a loud band.

Regardless which way you go it sounds like a good time to start managing your stage volume. Learning to keep your stage volume low would definitely be cheaper on you, and would also allow you to use almost anything as far as amps, or none if you so choose to, and just mic' or DI it to the FOH...you can still pipe it up front with a loud band but still will have a hard time hearing on stage....again just my cheap 2 pennies worth.

10-4 on controlling stage volume. If the drummer is too loud, buy a set of plexiglass surrounds and mic everything to the house PA. Once people start buying amps to be louder than a drummer, you've lost control. Your vocal monitors fade away into the sunset and you go home at night thinking the world is really quiet at 2am (nope, you are becoming deaf).

Most decent PA systems now days can handle vocals along with a little sound reinforcement for the instruments. You can leave the bass out of the mix, but insert guitars, keyboards, etc. The whole band benefits because now you can hear the guitar player on the other side of the stage and the vocal monitors are actually usable. Another benefit is that, aside from the PA speakers, you are hauling lots less weight into the venue and back to the truck. I like a combo amp on an X-stand. My 2x12 Vox AD50VT sits angled right behind me and I can hear every note clearly as well as all the other musicians instruments.

Few people don't like the Valvetronix series. It takes a little getting used to since the knobs are digital controls instead of analog pots. If you listen closely when turning them while lightly ringing a chord, you will hear the change in steps. If you jack them around, you miss the sweet spot and go to something you may not care for. It's there, you just have to learn to listen and twist slowly. There's a lot of range in the sweep of a knob.

Our band is doing a classic rock wedding reception in March. While practicing the set list I'm finding that I can nail the sounds of the 60's 70's and 80's. I've only had this amp a month and already I'm liking it better than the Roland cube 60 I brought home after giging with it for a year and a half. And, the Roland is a super amp. I just made it my practice amp after buying the Vox.

There's a place for big 100 watt 4x12 Marshalls, but most small and medium size venues are going to leave you playing on volume 1 and not driving it to a decent tone level. Been there, done that. Like the combo better. Dickey Betts recently said in an interview that he uses a 50 watt 2x12 Marshall since he left the ABB. They were loud enough to crank two 4x12 cabs. Now, with Great Southern, he uses the 50 to get in the tonal range.

I own a Valvetronix 30-watter and I'm real pleased with the tube sound. I've contemplated buying a tube amp for a long time but every time I turn on the Vox I hear enough tube sound to satisfy me. For the price they're great. You might also experiment with some of the tube pre-amps out there. If you don't have a grand for the 'real thing' it's a decent alternative in my opinion.

If I do decide to break down & buy a tube amp you can bet it will be one with variable power. Since you don't hit the sweet spot until you overdrive the tubes, one size definately does not fit all.

I haven't used an amp over 30watts in 25 years as every band I ever played in had a decent PA & I'd mike my amp through it.

Archived