Gibson Brands Forums

Pickguards.... to install or not install.

W.bat

Just got a classic custom les paul, Guitar of the week 39, and I love the look. Super clean. It came with it's pickguard which when in place gives it a more antique look. Kind of prefer it without.

My question should I install the pickguard, will it make a lot of difference to the protection of the guitar?

Its personal taste. I left mine of because I prefer the look plus I didnt want to drill the body for the screws. Just my own opinion.Also when you decide to take it of you got two holes in the body.

When I recently bought my new Wine Red LP Classic Antique, I went around and around with myself as to whether or not to install the pickguard. The stain color is so pretty that I didn't want to cover it up.

In the end it was a playability issue. I found it difficult to anchor my pinky finger without the pickguard on. I tried it both ways over a few days, just trial-fitting the pickguard without drilling the holes, and liked the feel of the guitar better with it on.

It looks good that way, too - the pickguard gives it sort of a "formal" appearance.

Your guitar is going to get pick scratches either way - my old LP Special reissue show the marks of many hours of playing and I imagine the new one will too, eventually.

The pickguard has long been a part of the 'Les Paul look' but as people started loving the figured tops more and more, it slowly has become more a matter of personal preference.

Will it protect your guitar? A lot depends on the way you play. At the bottom of the guitar your hand is normally starting to move away from the body as you strum, so pick scratches should not typically be a worry there. A lot of people like to use the pickguard as a place to anchor their pinkie. On my LPs without a PG I will use the edge of the PU ring or the body itself. Resting a finger on the body can cause you to wear through the finish over time. Just like the little rings that develop around the control knobs from constantly adjusting the guitar. I have LPs with and without pickguards, and one with a flamed maple PG. I like them all.

[-o< Hiya girlsgirlsgirls,

Yup, It doesn't flap around at all. It's actually a bit thicker than the stock pickguard Gibson offers. When I first began making these, I sent out over 30 to various artists for their critiques and to see how it held up. These guys went from jazz musicians to smash metal. Not one broken one. All liked the screwless pickguard. I do include a small silicone bumper that can be placed on the far edge of the pickguard for even more support. But, I've now sold over 300 of these to musicians all over the world and so far only one has actually said they bothered putting it on. It's just an option for those who don't want to screw into the top and side of their Lester. Like me. And so far 300 + others.

Tenacious T:

Yea, I'm still working out the kinks in my website. Best to email me at nicatme@aol.com

I also make these for lefties as well!

IMGP1012.jpg

And another happy right handed customer!

classic3.jpg

These look a bit white in the photos, but they are actually more cream/ivory

A clear on a LP Classic Shows the mounting.

PG5sig.jpg

Just got a classic custom les paul' date=' Guitar of the week 39, and I love the look. Super clean. It came with it's pickguard which when in place gives it a more antique look. Kind of prefer it without.

My question should I install the pickguard, will it make a lot of difference to the protection of the guitar?[/quote']

The Bobby Lee above is the way to go. I had the same concern and found these guards to be better and more solid than stock. I am using a rubber bumper on the lower edge as I like a sturdy plant for my fingers.

Bobby_Lee' date='

Very clever desgin, bro...do you make one for other models like the ES with clear? Some like picking using the guard as a finger support/positioning but also like the clean looks without the guard.[/quote']

Thanks kaicho8888,

I haven't gotten into the ES models yet. (Mainly because I don't have an ES yet!:-k ) I don't even have all of the Les Paul models yet.

And thanks Mellow69 I'm glad it's working out for ya!!

MyLesPaul Forums

Gibson

WB Pickups Custom!!

I'm new to the Gibson forum, so this sounded like a good place to jump in!

My vote goes for the screwless pickguard! I ordered one about a month ago for a Fireburst Studio LP I picked up used and needed some cosmetic restoration. I had to replaced some abused gold hardware but it never had a pickguard installed (ie: no drilled holes). The guitar finish was in great shape so I opted for The BobbyLee Signature Pickguard. It really is solid and the installation is clean. No regrets whatsoever!!!!

http://s167.photobucket.com/albums/u143/Aces_x_5/?action=view&current=StudioLP5.jpg

-Five-

Archived