Gibson Brands Forums

Old Acoustic

Seanboy

My dad has an old Acoustic Epiphone that's been sitting in his basement for years, he bought it used back in 1981, the model says it's a 6832, serial # 93700. The guitar is in pretty good shape other than a few things. I got it out yesterday and noticed the bridge is starting to lift away from the body. Is this repairable? is it worth repairing? How much might this guitar be worth?

Thanks,

Seanboy

My dad has an old Acoustic Epiphone that's been sitting in his basement for years' date=' he bought it used back in 1981, the model says it's a 6832, serial # 93700. The guitar is in pretty good shape other than a few things. I got it out yesterday and noticed the bridge is starting to lift away from the body. Is this repairable? is it worth repairing? How much might this guitar be worth?

Thanks,

Seanboy[/quote']

The 6832 (sometimes with an "E" for "Epiphone" alpha suffix) was originally an(and was essentially a re-labeled ) Aria model, made by Matsumoku in Japan. That model number was only used in 1971 on the first wave of imports so dating it is easy. A year later its model number became FT-150. These were completely laminated (plywood) bodies with bolt-on necks and sold in the shops for around $125 in 1971 which is close to what they're worth these days...maybe fifty bucks more if it's in great condition with no structural issues or lifting bridges. The serial numbers are useless for dating purposes with these models. If it has some sentimental value, having been your father's, it may be worth repairing but I'd be cautious about investing too much money in it as there are other very common structural issues associated with this model such as eventually collapsing neck pockets which will result in even higher repair costs. In good cosmetic and playable condition I'd say the value is probably around $150.

..and Al's your uncle.

• 4 weeks later...

I just added a thread I copied from the old board of how I fixed my FT145SB. This will show you the mode of neck block failure and how you or your luthier or brother-in-law carpenter can fix it. Any cabinet maker worth his hide glue can do the fix.

Interesting these first Epis from Aria had a numbering system similar to Harmony's of Chicago Music Instrument company that sold out about the time Epiphones went to the Pac Rim. I wonder if these were being made on the oldCMI fixtures.:-s

Archived