Gibson Brands Forums

MY Dot wont stay in tune

smaestas

Huh... Very informative... I always wondered why the G string always sounded a little "off" on my electrics, but not on my acoustic.. I used to drive myself crazy tweaking the tuning and intonation! Kept blaming the nut! I think I eventually learned to ignore it...

Isn't there a manufacturer that makes full sets with a wound G?

the wound third string is somewhat more fragile than an unwound third string, and the wound third string must be bent substantially farther than an unwound third string, to achieve the same change in pitch.

in that quote he tells the tale. it's a trade off most don't make.

You either learn to compensate, tune your guitar to itself as far as balance toward perfection, or add a compensated nut.

and then there's this:

For most players, the problem of fragility is not significant; violent use of the Strat whammy-bar can cause premature string breakage, but otherwise, it’s generally no big deal. However, the question of bendability is, for most players, rather significant. Many players just assume that a wound third string is out of the question for this reason alone. I’m challenging these players to re-evaluate this assumption — do you really want to put up with the Tonal Disaster that is the unwound third string, just to bend the third string like a Blues-Weenie rattling off an arsenal of recycled cliches? Is it really worth it?

blues weenie? hey buddy, piss off. and tonal disaster, really? how many of your guitar heroes use wound thirds on electric? sound like weenies to you? bending isn't important? is he unaware of how much bending those rock weenies, country weenies, and jazz weenies do?

sure the third string is a problem.. but can we at least realize that this problem has been overcome to the satisfaction of most professional players without winding the third..

Me, I'll take proper set up and adjustable pole pieces.. good nut slotting, fine fret work, careful intonation.. the right pots and caps.. and an amplifier that's made for the whole schmear. works for me.

I have an epiphone dot and the g string will not tune. If it sounds in tune with open E it is out of tune when I play C. It is usually sharp. Has anyone had this happen to them? What did you do?

I had the same problem with my Dot. After a pro set-up the problem went away. I suspect there was a problem with the nut.

I agree with the Pro setup. A Luthier will at least let you know if something other that a setup is required. When I get a new guitar or used, I let a pro set it up for me. When I get it back I measure everything and save it to a file so if something gets whacked I can put it back.

Besides, after a good setup you won't believe how good it feels and sounds.

I have an epiphone dot and the g string will not tune. If it sounds in tune with open E it is out of tune when I play C. It is usually sharp. Has anyone had this happen to them? What did you do?

Usually, when a string is in tune when played open but goes sharp when fretted, it indicates that the string is too high coming off the nut. Take a look how high the G string is over the first fret as compared to the other strings - it should just clear it. If it is too high, have a tech file the slot a hair (unless you feel up to the task yourself).

Good luck.

Most tuning issues are related to the nut. And with the cheap plastic nut shipped on the Dot, a changeout to a bone or Tusq nut should solve the problem. It comes from slots either not real cleanly-cut or cut to the wrong dimension. The string binds in the nut so you think you're tuned to correct pitch, but when it gives, the note is flat.

Archived