Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson SJ200 and Byrdland help?

Power&Wisdom

I am helping an elderly lady whose husband recently passed away. He was a bluegrass player and has several guitars that she'd like some help identifying and selling. Among others are two Gibsons:

1) SJ200

The serial number makes it a 1999 model. It's been played but is in solid overall condition. No cracks or major dings - just some rash marks on the back and some light marks on the back of the neck (from a capo I'd guess). The top has some scratches and light play wear. This is the first time I've had a chance to play one of these guitars and I was quite impressed with the tone. even with dead strings.

Photos here: SJ200 photos

2) Byrdland

This is a really cool thin-body electric "jazz" guitar. I know next to nothing about these and cannot find definitive information about the year. The serial number (stamped on the headstock back) is 410135. There's a sticker inside one of the F-holes indicating the guitar was built in Kalamazoo. This guitar is also in nice overall condition - there's light playwear on the top, with one noticeable scratch. The binding has yellowed, and there's some oxidation on the pickups. This is a really cool guitar.

Photos here: Byrdland Photos

Neither instrument appears to have any cracks or other structural concerns. The action on both is quite playable and the SJ has plenty of saddle showing. Any help with value and year of the Byrdland would be greatly appreciated. I have no interest in purchasing these guitars (wife rules) - I'm just trying to help this person with a difficult task.

Thanks,

Neal

The Byrdland is likely a late '60s model, my guess '67 - '69. Serial number seems more like '68-ish.

Wild guess on value, assuming in reasonable unbuggered condition would be on the high side of $6K.

Value of the SJ-200 would be from $1800 - 2300, again, my guess. Private sale, so store markup not being considered here.

Fred

Thanks for the quick information guys.

montesada - After reading the information on the Provide site, it appears you are correct - a 74-75 model as it definitely does have the "Made in the USA" stamped on the headstock.

Thanks again!

Archived