Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Quality ( or lack of)

gks002

2 months ago I purchased a EJ-160-E from Guitar Center. Didn't play it much so I just got around to changing the strings. Lo and behold, the bridge plate is misplaced so it does not even cover the string holes!! Are you kidding me? How does QC not catch something like that? Anybody else have any horror stories like this? Just wondering (and venting).

How did they string the guitar if there's no holes???

the holes don't go thru the bridge plate because the bridge plate is in the wrong spot. I didn't say it didn't have any holes. the bridge plate keeps the string ball ends from ripping thru the deck, among other things.

Purchased a new EJ-160E in January '08 and have very much enjoyed taking lessons and playing. Recently asked my teacher to look at the guitar to give me some feedback on its' setup. He looked it over good and found it "sqeaked" when he pressed the bridge. He checked the pins, but they were seated properly. He turned the guitar over and pressed it and it gave. We looked inside and found the binding was missing in two spots, allowing the back braces to lift. I'm now working with Epiphone to obtain a warranty repair/replacement. I'll let you know how it goes.

Its times like these that you're happy you bought new and got the warranty.

Bingo, Tynee!! That's the single most important issue that's facing me, as I search for an AJ500RC, I feel that even though it is a Masterbilt (which seem to have better build quality than the "standard" lines), there is still a build issue with the bridge lifting, I want Epiphone to be held responsible if mine does.

Having said that, though, I saw some pricing from a fellow forum member the other day that might just make it worthwhile to take the chance--even if the bridge did lift, I would certainly be $$ ahead after paying a luthier to reset it. Had one done on an old Harmony, cost $50.

Dugly =P~

Purchased a new EJ-160E in January '08 and have very much enjoyed taking lessons and playing. Recently asked my teacher to look at the guitar to give me some feedback on its' setup. He looked it over good and found it "sqeaked" when he pressed the bridge. He checked the pins' date=' but they were seated properly. He turned the guitar over and pressed it and it gave. We looked inside and found the binding was missing in two spots, allowing the back braces to lift. I'm now working with Epiphone to obtain a warranty repair/replacement. I'll let you know how it goes.[/quote']

I know that tune. fighight with Gibson to get a NEW guitar, as they just want to repair mine. If I had wanted a refurb. I would have bought one. Hope yours goes better than mine. Good luck

Got it.

Any problem exchanging it?

Gibson wants to repair it. Great. Talked to a guy at the Gibson certified repair shop and he told me that it was a fairly costly repair, so they might just get me a new one. (which would be the right thing to do, as I could have bought a refurb. for less to begin with). I just want a new guitar that is put together right. I guess thats asking to much from Epiphone/Gibson. DO YOU HEAR ME GIBSON?

I only have two Epiphone acoustics. 1994 Blues Master and a Masterbilt EF-500R. Could not be happier with those guitars. So' date=' no, I do not have any horror stories. Sorry.[/quote']

If you ever get tired of that blues master, please let me know

Archived