Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Pickups

volt1281734017

I have a 2006 Epiphone catalog that has PUP information in it and I suspect that my Les Paul's neck PUP will be the same as my Dot's bridge PUP.

I was surprised to see an SG PUP in the neck. I was expecting both PUPs to be the same, and probably the "57CH (G)" neck PUP.

No need to post pics of mine. They have the same label and look pretty

much the same from the bottom.

LP Custom Neck: "F Epiphone" 57 CH G LP Neck BHC

alo says on label "Dot Neck,Bridge

LP Custom Bridge: " R Epiphone" HOT CH (G) LP Bridge BHC

They are ok, but I've replaced mine with GFS FAT PAF NECK

GFS CRUNCHY PAF BRIDGE

Are they any better? More output, different tone.

I wanted to know what pickups my '06 Dot 335 was using. I was a little bored' date=' so...........

Bridge PUP

[img']http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f223/longtall/MyDotBridgePUP.jpg[/img]

Neck PUP

MyDotNeckPUP.jpg

Anyone else have pics of theirs, or know what their PUPs are?

*** I'm not suggesting that you remove your pickups like I did ***

Youre Bridge pickup is Identical to the Neck pickup that came in my Les Paul Custom.

As far as the Bridge pickup my guitar came loaded with a Duncan Designed(bought used) DD102.

The 498/490 Gibson set sounded so good in my Epi and is a perfect addition to get those Coveted Gibson LP tones IMO.

Most guys rip these right out of their Gibsons and can be had cheap used.

No need to post pics of mine. They have the same label and look pretty

much the same from the bottom.

LP Custom Neck: "F Epiphone" 57 CH G LP Neck BHC

alo says on label "Dot Neck' date='Bridge

LP Custom Bridge: " R Epiphone" HOT CH (G) LP Bridge BHC

They are ok, but I've replaced mine with GFS FAT PAF NECK

GFS CRUNCHY PAF BRIDGE

Are they any better? More output, different tone. [/quote']

I just checked my LP Standard and the pickups are the same as yours were, and also were exactly what I was expecting to find.

Bridge: HOT CH (G) LP: Bridge

Neck: 57 CH (G) Dot: Neck, Bridge, LP: Neck

My LP100 came with 700T in bridge and 650R in neck. Just basic run of the mill pickups. I have since upgraded to BB2 bridge and P-94 neck. Anyone else using Humbucker/P-94 Combo? It has some great tones. I'd take pictures, but I don't want to dig them out of my gear box.

I looked all over for a set of used 498/490's when I set out to change pups in my Epi Lp Custom. I liked the sound of my Gibby LP Studio and wanted to make the Epi sound identical. Everyone seemed to want almost new prices for their used pups, so I bought the SD Pearly Gates for the extra output and high end and got them for about the same price as Ebay 498/490's. I fully expected that someone would sell me the used 498/490 set for $100... no go.

I bought it "new" from the local Guitar Center within the past two weeks. It was built in Dec 2006 though. <Scratches head>

It had all the stickers on it that a new Epiphone should have. So either the guitar dealer put some stickers on a used guitar or it was sitting in their showroom for over a year. Either way, I love this Dot and can't put it down. [-(

Before 2 days ago, my 2007 Dot Studio had:

Neck: HB6N

Bridge: HOTHB8B Apparently, these guys were also used on the now-discontinued LP Classic

Absolute crap replaced by GFS Mean 90s, which sound fantastic.

Going by the labels' date=' I'd say the 1st one is a '57 Classic Humbucker, and the 2nd is a basic Alnico Humbucker, as seen in any Epi SG.[/quote']

Same thing. The only difference is the pole spacing between the (F) and the ® versions.

Basically Epiphone has four different humbuckers. There's the 650R and the 700T (these are ceramic magnet pickups that are used in the cheap guitars, and are actually pretty good pickups). Then there's the '57 Alnico Classic and the '57 Alnico Classic Hot... in covered and uncovered flavours. HOTCH = Hot Chrome as opposed to HOTG = Hot Gold. HB6N = Humbucker six Neck and HOTHB8B = Hot Humbucker eight Bridge. Note that the uncovered PUs measure out exactly the same resistance as the covered ones. Most of the archtops (except the Dot Studio) will have two Classics while pretty much all the rest will have the Classic Hot in the bridge position.

Then of course there's all the non-Epiphone pickups such as the Burstbuckers and EMGs that show up in the premium guitars.

I looked all over for a set of used 498/490's when I set out to change pups in my Epi Lp Custom. I liked the sound of my Gibby LP Studio and wanted to make the Epi sound identical. Everyone seemed to want almost new prices for their used pups' date=' so I bought the SD Pearly Gates for the extra output and high end and got them for about the same price as Ebay 498/490's. I fully expected that someone would sell me the used 498/490 set for $100... no go.[/quote']

A couple years ago I bought the 498/490 set used from craigslist for $80. Guys were ripping these out left and right until it caught on that they are really good pickups. Now mor folks are leaving them in or charging $150 for the set.

Crazy.

I bought it "new" from the local Guitar Center within the past two weeks. It was built in Dec 2006 though. <Scratches head>

It had all the stickers on it that a new Epiphone should have. So either the guitar dealer put some stickers on a used guitar or it was sitting in their showroom for over a year. Either way' date=' I love this Dot and can't put it down. ;)[/quote']

Sometimes a guitar can linger in the warehouse for a while... Either Epi's or GC's.. Back in '99, I lived in Arizona and I had to have a Fender Jazz bass special ordered from the factory warehouse in Scottsdale... The bass I got was made in '97... Already 2 years old... And it came direct from Fender. I'm not surprised that an Asian-made guitar can take a while to make its way into the hands of a consumer.

I didn't take the pups out of my Dot' date=' but I just checked their output.. Got 8.6 and 8.7... I reckon they're the same pickups...[/quote']

Mine are measuring at; Neck '57 Classic 8.26K ohms Bridge '57 Classic Plus 8.96K ohms. Seems to be balanced just about right.

Epiphone's specs for the Classics are:

8.5KO for the Classic and

13.85 KO for the Classic Hot.

These are nominal values... although I expect a fair degree of consistency, there will be discrepancies due to tolerances, place of manufacture, measuring technique, etc., but it'd be pretty hard to confuse a Classic Hot with a Classic. Anything in the 8K to 9K range will be a Classic, and this is correct for the Dot and the Sheraton which come with two of them. Note that the Dot Studio has the Hot bridge though.

Archived